www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - foreign condenser on the labophot
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
foreign condenser on the labophot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iconoclastica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: foreign condenser on the labophot Reply with quote

Now I have a new microscope, I want to try everything that is possible with it. Preferable all at the same time Razz
The next thing I have tried is darkfield. Now the Nikon achromat condenser has its aperture hidden in a deep hole. To bring up a central stop there about would mean raising the stop som 4 or 5 cm thrugh the 18mm central bore. Possible, but not handy if one wants to change the size frequently.

My old microscope had an abbe-condenser, with filter holder just below the aperture. That looked like a better starting point for these experiments. OK, the lack of quality of that condenser was the reason to start looking for another microscope in the first place, but this is experimenting, alright?

First challenge was to make the old condenser physically fit the Labophot. I drew an adapter and took that to the 3D-printer:

It's in for parts, so I can reuse e.g. the dove tail in forthcoming projects, because the printer doesn't find it easto to print parts that grow wider with height, and the top part had to be unscrewable anyway to put the condenser inside it.

This is the result:

The stops are rings of black cardboard placed upon a 0.9 mm thick acrylic disk. here is a central pin to center the ring on the disk (in the photo, the protective foil is still on the disk):

First test show mixed results. The foreign condenser fits on the Nikon. I wonder if that expands the range of useful condensers for this microscope. In dark field mode, it appears to be that the stop must be much smaller than I thought. Even the centering pin may be too large? Also I may want to make it excentric, to enable centering.
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting- I have been wondering how feasible it would be to put an Olympus condenser to an Optiphot so I have a condenser with a slot. What make did you use?
iconoclastica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
What make did you use?

It's the condenser of my old microscope that I bought in the early 80ies when I was a student. The brand is Euromex. They have been in business since 1966, so I think they make their own and do not rebrand.

I you could carefully measure the outline of your condenser and describe its slot, I may be able to draw and perhaps print one for you. Mine cost 6.80 euro including a retry for the top part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: