unmount polarizer filters

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

iconoclastica

unmount polarizer filters

Post by iconoclastica »

Some weeks ago I bought a pandora's box full of parts and accessories said to belong to the Optiphot. Among these are three polarizer filters:
As such, I have no use for them. But for the epi-illuminator that came last wekend, I do have the analyzer slider (from the same box :D), however, without filter. The glass in the filters is 20mm, so they should be usable in the analyzer. Only they have been securely fixed into their rings by some half-transparent greyish kit. Can this be dissolved so the glass comes out?

(BTW, the right filter has a kind of horizontal axle: in what kind of application does one need that?)
--- felix filicis ---

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

All right, that was easier than it appeared beforehand. The glass disk is a little smaller than the mount. The furrow in between filled with a kind of rubber cement. Under the stereo microscope it is doable to cut with the point of a surgeon's knife through the furrow and remove most of the rubber cement. Then the disk can carefully be levered out of its mount.
--- felix filicis ---

genera

Re: unmount polarizer filters

Post by genera »

iconoclastica wrote: . . .
(BTW, the right filter has a kind of horizontal axle: in what kind of application does one need that?)
The last filter should fit one of the drop-in filter slots available on many Optiphot vertical illuminators. The pins keep it from falling too far into the slot and the screw provides a convenient handle for removing a possibly very hot filter.
-Gene

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

The last filter should fit one of the drop-in filter slots available on many Optiphot vertical illuminators. The pins keep it from falling too far into the slot and the screw provides a convenient handle for removing a possibly very hot filter.
Yes indeed, that fits. Must be combined with a rotatable analyzer then?
--- felix filicis ---

genera

Post by genera »

If you want adjustable cross polarization, yes.

Have you verified that it is a polarizer and not a neutral density filter? It seems odd, to me, to put a polarizer so close to the lamphouse and in a position with possibly depolarizing optics between it and the subject.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It's not reversible, is it, ie a circular pol one way and linear pol the other?

Try it in a mirror!
Chris R

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

genera wrote:Have you verified that it is a polarizer
Yes, I have. Hold it in front of a computer sceen and see it turning black and bright again.

It's not reversible, is it, ie a circular pol one way and linear pol the other?
Try it in a mirror!
That's new to me. How shoud I try this and what should I see then?
--- felix filicis ---

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Watch carefully - it's quick!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVIo9C0NDA

A circular pol filter is a linear pol with a quarter wave plate on one side - the one which goes to the camera normally.
The qwp makes the polarization rotate, like a corkscrew as the wave travels, by making the electromagnetic wave out of phase with the electric field by 90º. The mirror reverses the direction of the rotation so when the light gets back to the filter it's blocked - the electric and electromagnetic waves are then 180º out of phase, and the plane of rotation is rotated by 90º.

If you have the retarder towards your eye instead of towards the mirror, the mirror gets plane pol light which it reflects in the same plane, so it's like you're looklking through two pol filters which are not crossed - just a couple of stops dimmed.
Chris R

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

I don't see any difference looking through either side. In comparison, a photographic CPL made a lot of difference.
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic