Trouble setting f/stop through dissecting scope setup

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

HollyR

Trouble setting f/stop through dissecting scope setup

Post by HollyR »

This is my first post so thanks to the admin for accepting me.
I am very much an amateur but have been photographing insects through a Swift dissecting microscope with a trinocular eyepiece for many years. I use a Niikon D-90 attached to a MEIJI TECHNO tube with a photo eyepiece. Suddenly I am no longer able to set an aperture. I am shooting using manual mode and Live View. I can change the shutter speed and ISO but the f-stop just refuses to be set. All I can see is "f--". So far I have reset the camera to factory defaults but to no avail. I also tried shooting in Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority but nether will allow me to shoot. Note that the camera works fine with a regular lens (off of the microscope).
Any help greatly appreciated.

Saul

Re: Trouble setting f/stop through dissecting scope setup

Post by Saul »

Welcome to the forum !
HollyR wrote:...Note that the camera works fine with a regular lens (off of the microscope)....
Manual lens ?

HollyR

Post by HollyR »

Saul wrote:Welcome to the forum !
HollyR wrote:...Note that the camera works fine with a regular lens (off of the microscope)....
Manual lens ?
Yes, it works fine with a manual lens and always worked fine with this same setup in the past. Obviously I have done something dumb.

Saul

Post by Saul »

HollyR wrote:
Saul wrote:Welcome to the forum !
Manual lens ?
Yes, it works fine with a manual lens and always worked fine with this same setup in the past. Obviously I have done something dumb.
"On the D90 lens mount, at about 8 o’clock, there is a switch that senses the minimum aperture."

What about this switch ?

HollyR

Post by HollyR »

What about this switch ?
Image[/quote]
Well, seems like a good idea but I tried it in both positions and it didn't do anything.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

HollyR wrote:TI use a Niikon D-90 attached to a MEIJI TECHNO tube with a photo eyepiece. Suddenly I am no longer able to set an aperture.
I'm confused about your setup.

I think of a "photo eyepiece" as being something that projects an image directly onto a camera sensor, with no other lens on the camera. In that case there's no aperture that can be adjusted, or at least none that the camera has control over.

Can you clear up my confusion? What aperture are you trying to adjust?

--Rik

Saul

Post by Saul »

No short on the camera lens contacts, when camera is sitting on the microscope ?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I had the same question as Rik. But Holly says it used to work before...

Saul

Post by Saul »

Lou Jost wrote:I had the same question as Rik. But Holly says it used to work before...
I suspect, Holly's problem is that camera does not work, when he has that "f--" sign

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

In principle if the camera doesn't detect a lens it's logical that it only works In M or AV modes.

Is it possible that the camera menu has an option to "fire without an attached lens" and it has been disabled inadvertently or after a firmware upgrade?
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I have the D90 and it does NOT need a lens....I vaguely remember that a menu item needed to be properly set...

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Maybe you must set the AF-M camera lever to M.
(I haven't a Nikon DSLR so I'm just guessing)
Pau

HollyR

Post by HollyR »

Pau wrote:Maybe you must set the AF-M camera lever to M.
(I haven't a Nikon DSLR so I'm just guessing)
Thanks to all of you for excellent suggestions. I am throwing in the towel. I know I am missing something, probably a menu setting but for the life of me can't find it. To answer your questions, I am shooting in the manual "M" mode, the only other "lens" is the optics of the microscope, and as far as a short goes I am not adept enough to figure that one out. If I should ever figure it out I will let you know.
In the meantime, thanks for the help!!! (and for the welcome to the forum)

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Holly, you were never actually controlling any f-stop, so the fact that you can't control it now should not cause you any new problems.

I just checked my D90 and it works fine with no lens, but only if the left-hand upper dial is set to M. I see you have it set at that; maybe try switching modes and then switching back?

Saul

Post by Saul »

Lou Jost wrote:Holly, you were never actually controlling any f-stop, so the fact that you can't control it now should not cause you any new problems.

I just checked my D90 and it works fine with no lens, but only if the left-hand upper dial is set to M. I see you have it set at that; maybe try switching modes and then switching back?
Hi Lou,

I think you can save your D90 settings to the SD card ? If it is true, you can transfer them to the PC and send to Holly

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-e ... smart.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic