Ebay Sellers Read This Use Caution Selling On Ebay

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Another update.

Sunday Ebay issues a full credit to my Paypal account.

Sunday AMEX issues another full credit for the chargeback.

Sunday Paypal declines my chargeback but thats ok.

They show up as separate credits so I have been credited 2x the full amount.

What just happened? :shock:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Three times the full amount, since you also got the lens!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Three times the full amount, since you also got the lens!
Oh yeah true Lou, didn't think of it that way.

What a saga this has been, pretty unbelievable really.

Robert

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Thank goodness you finally got the lens O_O

eBay didnt really handle that well at all. Maybe the credit will stay, as payment for having to deal with their CS department :roll:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

TheLostVertex wrote:Thank goodness you finally got the lens O_O

eBay didnt really handle that well at all. Maybe the credit will stay, as payment for having to deal with their CS department :roll:
Hi Steven,

Yeah can you believe it?

I pulled the funds out of my Paypal account anyway just in case. :shock:

Robert

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

RobertOToole wrote:
TheLostVertex wrote:Thank goodness you finally got the lens O_O

I pulled the funds out of my Paypal account anyway just in case. :shock:
Smart move :lol:

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

What worries me most is not that parcel services are blundering, or that ebay has disagreable policies (next time I have something to return I'll make sure it rains that day: the returning failed but I will have made an attempt), but that
Ebay debited my PP account on the spot.
PayPal is a bank (it has a European banking license). So if it lets third parties withdraw from your account that is fraude, theft, or whatever. Yes, perhaps you should file a police report. Even if ebay has a standing order, the holder of the account ought to be able to revoke individual transfers.

Or am I thinking too European now?[/i]
--- felix filicis ---

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

iconoclastica wrote:What worries me most is not that parcel services are blundering, or that ebay has disagreable policies (next time I have something to return I'll make sure it rains that day: the returning failed but I will have made an attempt), but that
Ebay debited my PP account on the spot.
PayPal is a bank (it has a European banking license). So if it lets third parties withdraw from your account that is fraude, theft, or whatever. Yes, perhaps you should file a police report. Even if ebay has a standing order, the holder of the account ought to be able to revoke individual transfers.

Or am I thinking too European now?[/i]
You are correct, Ebay normally cannot withdraw funds from Paypal but I didn't realize that I had auto-pay enabled (to pay my Ebay fees and shipping). I normally don't do that and I disabled it as soon as I found out but I was surprised they could withdraw funds to cover a refund judgement.

So I won't be enabling auto payment of fees again anytime soon.

Robert

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ebay's conditions changed a year or two ago to allow them to withdraw funds from you if they think you've evaded their fees. I don't remember the details or how far their rights go. :|
Chris R

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

It's not as simple as that. First: which user agreements apply here, that of ebay of the one of paypal's? Which national version of the agreements? Are the agreements identical for individuals and business (and if so, what about consumer protection)? Have they ever been tested in court? Do the agreements agree with national laws and permits?

Given this complexity it seems very wise indeed to remove any funds from your paypal account asap. This doesn't change anything to your liability, but claims have to be proven and then you stand a much better chance.

Thanks, Robert, this was a useful warning.
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic