Simple answer to tube to sensor

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kpassaur

Simple answer to tube to sensor

Post by kpassaur »

I have read quite a few pages and now I am confused. I have a Nikon Plan 10x and a Raynox 150 and 250. I have read different magnification amounts people get from them depending upon how they are setup. Should I fix the adapter (tube) at a given distance from the sensor and then move the objective to change the magnification or does it really matter. I am not nitpicking in other words, corner sharpness is not a top priority as I crop and they are gone. If it does matter a lot I would like to know so I can proceed correctly.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

This belongs in a differen section so we'll move it in due course.

But yes - put the raynox on a tube on the camera so it focuses at infinity. Then put the objective on the front. You can't change the magnification without changing lenses.
You can't focus either, you have to move the setup relative to the subject.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think with the Raynox, Robert's results show that you do have limited ability to zoom (and also to focus) by changing tube length slightly. Best to try it yourself and see if the quality is acceptable to you.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

A little, yes, and you can focus ny focusing a camera lens used as a tube lens, but I suggest that's only really useful for tethering, as kpassaur has a Stackshot.
It's covered again in another thread in a diffferent section...
I'll move this to be with it.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic