Measurescope base--worth it or too dang heavy?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Scarodactyl

Measurescope base--worth it or too dang heavy?

Post by Scarodactyl »

Hi everyone. I have just finished piecing together a Nikon SMZ1500 stereoscope from parts, and all that it needs now is a base and a focus mount. I remembered reading something about the Nikon measurescope having a particularly good base, and I'd been watching one on eBay for a while, and I ended up making an offer of 160+freight shipping which they accepted. The issue is that it's apparently freight shipping because it weighs 130 pounds.
I guess what I need to ask is, is this going to be worth the hassle of moving it around, or should I try to get out of the deal?
It is a really beautiful looking base, and it doesn't look 130 pounds, but it's hard to get scale from this type of photo:
edit: OK that's already settled, my brother/housemate says he'll kick my ##### if I get a 130 pound microscope shipped here, so I'm going to try and cancel the order. If anyone else is interested in it I'll post a link to the auction when it's back up.
Still curious, though, for when I'm wealthy enough to have room for this beast (right next to my Mitutoyo finescope and my giraffe).

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I would think it's quite possible it weights that much considering how thick the base is. I just purchased this particular one on eBay and it weighs 87 pounds (as shown in the picture with no other attachments). I also have a MM-11 that weighs about the same (with no attachments).

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I'll bet it provides exceptional stability.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Over the years I've had the urge to buy several heavy systems. I bought a very nice Unitron measuring scope base, with gorgeous differential micrometers. Also bought a custom-made wafer sorting base with massive dual-post design. And a while back the local surplus store had several Aristophot bases, which are beautiful pieces of machinery, but folks here talked me out of buying them (THANK YOU) as they may not be as stable as they look due to the mounting arrangement. I had wanted to build a super-stable system with these, but ultimately I sold the Unitron and dual-post monstrosities on local craigslist, and now they are thankfully the property of others. Luckily I have found other ways to stabilize my system without the need for such large mass loading.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I find it hard to believe they're anywhere near that heavy, since I have no problem carrying mine about.
There are three or four basic models. Mine's a UM-2, with a square column, which I suspect is better than the round one. The round ones don't look so easy for the height to be adjusted.
Mine's similar to this (ebay pic).

The part I've tinted does lift away and that's a weighty lump. It has finely controlled X-Y, and rotation. Those monster knobs are rotational encoders, which I don't use as such but they allow very fine movements.

The good part about its massiveness is the lack of springiness in the column-to-base fixing.

Mine has stuff all over it so I can't actuallly use it now. Hmm, perhaps that IS gravity.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

To my eye the one in Scarodactyl's photo looks considerably larger (thicker base, much thicker column) than the one in Chris'. Remember weight varies as the cube of the linear dimension, all else being equal, so I would believe the quoted weight.

I've been moving a UM2 measuring microscope from the US to Ecuador piece by piece in my airline luggage over the past year....should finish sometime in 2019...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

much thicker column
Dunno - you think much thicker than 10cm x 8 or so?
The base including the tinted part is 23cm high.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

His base looks a lot thicker than yours, but maybe that's perspective distortion.
I might be wrong about the column thickness too.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

I have not measured the weight of my Zeiss measuring microscope stand (picture below), but I estimate it is around 50 Kg (over 100 lb). So this seems to be an average weight for this type of equipment.
--ES

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

When I bought my MZ7.5 I took one of those cheap one day return flights to the UK, put the 20kg foot of the boom stand in the checked luggage and all the rest in a back pack into the cabin, smiling and pretending it wasn't heavy at all. Getting it in person was faster, cheaper and, after a few scam-attempts, also more reliable than having it sent to me.
--- felix filicis ---

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, I generally can hardly lift my carry-on backpack.....

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

If anyone is interested, they did cancel my ordwr no hassle and relisted it: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3386285934
No connection to them, but it seems much cheaper than they usually are and the lens on it m8ght be worth something too. Probably a rebranded navitar or something like that

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's an amazing deal. Too bad it would never fit in my airline luggage!

Very interesting that there is a control for a telecentric stop.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... got mine for 100 bucks (plus shipping). The XY tilt stage is worth way more than that.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Smokedaddy wrote:I would think it's quite possible it weights that much considering how thick the base is. I just purchased this particular one on eBay and it weighs 87 pounds (as shown in the picture with no other attachments). I also have a MM-11 that weighs about the same (with no attachments).

-JW:
Nice unit! I have the exact Zygo base JW, same focus block, Z travel limiter and tilt head. The basic unit is the build as the Nikon MM-11.

I ended up not using the tilt head due to the reduced Z travel but it looks like it came with a big price tag.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic