triangular flagellate ID

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nanometer

triangular flagellate ID

Post by nanometer »

Hi,

I'm stumped on this flagellate. I encountered a bunch of these. They are about 12-13um not including the flagella. They appear to have two flagella. In the second shot, the aspect is such that the flagellum looks to come out a fold in the body. My searches have ended in failure. If it's any help, the freshwater was quite putrid, and these move through the water by slowly tumbling.

Thanks for any help and sorry to people who are annoyed by these 'help me ID this posts'.

Steve

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Hi Smokedaddy. Thanks for the suggestion. So far, it's the best guess I have on what it might be.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

How cool to see this organism! It has ruined many a trip for my friends and I in Latin America.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Well Lou, now you know what it looks like, if you feel off color you can check for yourself:

"The entero-test uses a gelatin capsule with an attached thread. One end is attached to the inner aspect of the patient's cheek, and the capsule is swallowed. Later, the thread is withdrawn and shaken in saline to release trophozoites which can be detected with a microscope."
:smt045
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

"The entero-test uses a gelatin capsule with an attached thread. One end is attached to the inner aspect of the patient's cheek, and the capsule is swallowed. Later, the thread is withdrawn and shaken in saline to release trophozoites which can be detected with a microscope."
:smt045[/quote]

I think I will just live in blissful ignorance...!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic