focus stacking software question

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bs0604

focus stacking software question

Post by bs0604 »

It would seem to me that there are two ways to get pictures for focus stacking. The first method is to simply rotate my macro focus ring in steps to get all planes in focus and then put through Helicon (which is the program I have). The second method involves a rail system to incrementally move the camera stepwise to get all planes in focus and then put in to Helicon. However, the second method would involve having each picture a slightly different size and thus I would think would not be as good a method? but obviously this must not be the case as relatively expensive motorized rail systems appear to be desirable. Any thoughts on this issue?

genera

Post by genera »

-Gene

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's a complicated issue.

A short answer is that both methods will make each picture a slightly different size and will also result in slight changes in viewpoint. At low magnifications, much below 1:1, it's usually better to turn the ring. At high magnifications, much above 1:1, it's usually more practical to move the camera.

See https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... versusrail for a more detailed discussion. That article is on the Zerene Stacker website, but all issues are the same with Helicon Focus.

I see that genera and I were typing at the same time. You'll probably find that the two discussions are consistent, since I wrote both of them.

--Rik

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I've used both:
  1. Adjusting Lens Focus - Before I could afford a Wemacro, I used DSLR Controller which works on Android devices. It works quite well with the caveat that it requires a Canon compatible auto-focus lens. This clearly rules out most bellows, reversed lenses, microscope objectives, etc.
  2. Moving the Camera - As soon as I could afford one, I bought a Wemacro automated rail. I had made a few attempts with a cheap manual rail, but without repeatable increments of movement, it was excruciating with any but the fewest, coarsest steps. I now use the Wemacro exclusively. It's an excellent piece of equipment from a company with excellent support.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic