Bubble Bokeh revisited

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Bubble Bokeh revisited

Post by Smokedaddy »

I was corresponding with Miljenko about the Meyer's Gorlitz lenses privately. I was also reading a luminous-landscape link that Rik posted a while back about 'A Technical View of Boke'. So I thought I'd give this particular lens a try. This was just a test image. It's a 50 or so year old Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 50mm F/2.9, M42, mounted on my old GH3. Not that the subject is that interesting but at least it shows the capabilities. I definitely see a use for it in close up photography if the conditions, subject and composition are right. This was at my sisters home. They have a fish pond and that's what you see as 'bubble bokeh' in the background. Anyway I thought it was interesting. The last image below sort of blows but what the heck I had to post something.

https://luminous-landscape.com/bokeh/

From what I've read. The original Trioplan was created by Hugo Meyer in 1916. It was based on the Cooke-Triplet, designed by Harold Dennis Taylor in 1893. The Trioplan was one of the first popular lens designs to allow a relatively high optical correction, an extraordinarily sharp center and a high maximum aperture. The Trioplan demonstrates its famous soap bubble bokeh when used wide open, especially when exposed to backlight or when capturing background reflections.

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Very interesting! I had wondered if the MOG 50 mm would not be a great macro lens for micro four thirds cameras. The ripples really bring out the personality of this lens. One of the best examples I've seen.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... I couldn't resist. Just messing around tonight, watching some Halloween movies on cable. Decided to mess with the lens again while sitting on the couch when a commercial came on. <g> Thought it turned out decent considering the, setup, conditions and hand held. Here's a link to a better focused example.

https://squattingdog.smugmug.com/My-Fir ... 7HjMcpL/X3

-JW:

JaniceSullivan

Post by JaniceSullivan »

Nice theme!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic