Cauca Valley (Colombia) Part II

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Cauca Valley (Colombia) Part II

Post by pbertner »

On location:

"A road runs through it"
Yotoco reserve is not only bi-sected by a highway, but is flanked on all sides by farmlands. It is a forested island, rich with interesting species, however, it's unclear how this ~500 Ha reserve will sustain larger mammalian species in the long-term.

Treehoppers can attract a variety of mutualists, and commensals which feed on the sugary exudate known as honeydew. Smallest and most surprising was this tiny predaceous mite, which I assumed was feeding on the still tinier, newly hatched treehopper nymphs, until it got up on its hind legs and stole some honeydew, evading patrolling ants by scurrying underneath the legs of the treehoppers.

Broad-nosed weevil (Compsus sp.) ovipositing in a dead branch. If you pay attention to the EE data then you'll see that I am giving this an ????5 because I inadvertently interrupted the oviposition whilst manipulating the fragile dead branch it was using as a substrate whilst trying to stabilize the shot.

Tuberculated weevil:

An adorable Ruiz's rubber frog (Strabomantis ruizi). Its cryptic colouration and patterning aids in its sit-and-wait ambush technique of passing prey. Possessing a rather huge mouth, and a voracious appetite to match, it has a large bite force, and is capable of eating other frogs and even rodents.

Backlit fern frond:

Geometrid caterpillar under UV light:

Rainforest stream:

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

If you're curious about EE you can read more about it
Here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic