How to convert a Pentax K-1 to Nikon mount

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, before you buy a Pentax (if you haven't got one already), wait one more day...

When testing my Scitex lenses with the Pentax, photographing butterfly wings, I have sometimes noticed in PMax stacks a faint white haze around the brightest white scales when they are surrounded by black scales. At first I blamed the lenses, but then I noticed slight haze around the same scales with my Printing Nikkor, which is normally perfect. It just occurred to me that maybe the problem isn't with the lenses but with imperfect anti-reflection coatings or filter packs on the sensor, diffusing or reflecting really bright light into the surrounding pixels... If that is true, this camera should be avoided. I will test this carefully (comparing the same lens and subject using multiple camera bodies) and report back by tomorrow.

Interestingly, the haze goes away when stacking in DMap with high contrast percentage. (90-99.6%).

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Sure okay. Thanks for all the effort Lou, appreciate it.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, I just took a range pf photos with the PN105A on the Pentax, and there is no problem in the single shots. The slight glow around the brightest scales in the stacked image appears to be caused by the stacking process, as is also indicated by the glow-free results when DMap is used.

I had a scare this morning though. Two days ago I strengthened the mount with epoxy and tightened the screws down as much as I dared. I let it sit all day yesterday to dry. This morning the camera did not work; it flashed a red "f/" warning and would not take a picture. I realized that the tightening had caused the contacts to make a short through the Nikon mount. I managed to slide a piece of stiff paper between the contacts and the mount, and this cured it.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

An interesting thing about the 36Mp Pentax FF vs the 20Mp Olympus PEN F (whose sensor is half the size of FF): When both cameras are shot in pixel-shifting mode (with the Pentax using 4 whole-pixel shifts and the Olympus using 8 half-pixel shifts), the photos will be about the same in terms of resolution (with the smaller-sensor PEN F having a slight edge).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic