Tube Lens Test With MITUTOYO 5X M Plan APO

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I measured my tube setup and got a figure of about 200mm, if the flange distance is included, it would make up to about 245 as elucidated by Robby in the thread. Very rough measurements, could be off.

Bottom line it, it's definitely not 148mm.

I will see if I have time to set mine up and redo some tests. I'm glad that I have an extra tube, could come in handy! Ordering these from the distributor requires 10% GST and shipping is a flat rate of $50 AUD, which after July is actually the cheaper option...

Anyhow. Hopefully I have time soon.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:I measured my tube setup and got a figure of about 200mm, if the flange distance is included, it would make up to about 245 as elucidated by Robby in the thread. Very rough measurements, could be off.

Bottom line it, it's definitely not 148mm.

I will see if I have time to set mine up and redo some tests. I'm glad that I have an extra tube, could come in handy! Ordering these from the distributor requires 10% GST and shipping is a flat rate of $50 AUD, which after July is actually the cheaper option...

Anyhow. Hopefully I have time soon.
Don't forget to try it in reverse.

We pay a lot for shipping in the US, but shipping from Asia is cheap. I had two small llenses shipped from Bejing and it was $27 for DHL overnight to Los Angeles, and it took less than 24 hours to arrive.

Robert

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

RobertOToole wrote: Don't forget to try it in reverse.

We pay a lot for shipping in the US, but shipping from Asia is cheap. I had two small llenses shipped from Bejing and it was $27 for DHL overnight to Los Angeles, and it took less than 24 hours to arrive.

Robert
Yeah, definitely will make a new comparison chart.
As for shipping, I acquired most my stuff as surplus off the flea websites, shipping was at most $10, usually free.

AlxndrBrg

Post by AlxndrBrg »

As someone who's about to walk into the world of tube-lenses and infinite-style objectives this is a god sent! The inclusion of different names for the same lenses are really great as well, wading through the swamp of names when trying to purchase things like this can be really frustrating!

Some questions:
What are the actual magnifications of the tube lenses that give a lower or higher magnification to the 5x Mitty than the standard 200mm ones?
I especially wonder about which magnification the "Century Precision Optics +4 Achromatic Diopter Lens" gives at the stated 110mm extension. From what I can understand it should give a lower magnification, as 110/200 = 0.55x, or is the opposite way around?
From looking at the 100% crops, when comparing the CPO +4 Apo at it's 200mm equivalent magnification (i.e. 1x) here to the "longer than 200mm" image here, it seems the difference in magnification is very slight, only around 1.1x
And what would my other options be for pushing the Mitty's up to 1.5-2x their nominal magnification? Only tele lenses?

And how applicable would the results be for a 10x Mitty instead, almost identical or would it be like comparing apples and oranges?

And as for obtaining the actual lenses, which are still in production (and not ridiculously expensive)? Just the Raynox ones? or also Century Precision Optics? The 4.8+ Raynox and Century Precision Optics +4 Achromatic Diopter Lens seems like two quite affordable options to cover a wide magnification range.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

AlxndrBrg wrote:As someone who's about to walk into the world of tube-lenses and infinite-style objectives this is a god sent! The inclusion of different names for the same lenses are really great as well, wading through the swamp of names when trying to purchase things like this can be really frustrating!
Thanks, glad you found the test useful.
Some questions:
What are the actual magnifications of the tube lenses that give a lower or higher magnification to the 5x Mitty than the standard 200mm ones?
This varies. When I first tested the Century +4, I got something like 237mm not 250mm. I emailed SK (they own Century) and they said, yes thats in spec.

During the test I tried to shoot a ruler with every lens tested but I shot these in so many configurations it was impossible for me to remember to do this every single time. The problem was that the test took a huge amount of time more than I planned.
I especially wonder about which magnification the "Century Precision Optics +4 Achromatic Diopter Lens" gives at the stated 110mm extension. From what I can understand it should give a lower magnification, as 110/200 = 0.55x, or is the opposite way around?
I can check the files to see if I have to ruler shot from this test so I can tell you exactly.

I actually give the formula that I use on the test page: Effective magnification = Marked magnification x the new tube lens focal length / the system tube lens focal length.
From looking at the 100% crops, when comparing the CPO +4 Apo at it's 200mm equivalent magnification (i.e. 1x) here to the "longer than 200mm" image here, it seems the difference in magnification is very slight, only around 1.1x
I didn't notice this. I should check. I tried to work slowly and methodically as possible but it is possible to mix-up a test image.
And what would my other options be for pushing the Mitty's up to 1.5-2x their nominal magnification? Only tele lenses?

Personally I tried a few lenses and some were superb, some were not, but they were all impossible to install in a proper, rigid set-up unless you built a special rig. I tried the "Y" lens support but still its not where near as rigid a proper set-up.
And how applicable would the results be for a 10x Mitty instead, almost identical or would it be like comparing apples and oranges?
From what I could see, I tried two other objectives, one was a mitutoyo and one was a Nikon, and they responded the same. The ITL200 was excellent and even with a short focus set-up, the results were fantastic.

I do plan to run Mitutoyo 10x and 20x when I can make some time.
And as for obtaining the actual lenses, which are still in production (and not ridiculously expensive)? Just the Raynox ones? or also Century Precision Optics? The 4.8+ Raynox and Century Precision Optics +4 Achromatic Diopter Lens seems like two quite affordable options to cover a wide magnification range.
Century lenses are very popular with video and film guys so there will always be used lenses for sale. I found both the +4 and the +7 as open box, used but mint, on Ebay for $100 or so. Maybe $150 for the +4. The +7 was discontinued last time I checked but the +4 is still available but Ebay is a better cheaper bet than new.

Thanks again for the interest.

Best,

Robert
Last edited by RobertOToole on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

AlxndrBrg wrote: What are the actual magnifications of the tube lenses that give a lower or higher magnification to the 5x Mitty than the standard 200mm ones?
I found the ruler test image for the century at 110mm short focus set-up.

Using the PS CC measure tool I get 5.16x.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

AlxndrBrg wrote:
....magnification the "Century Precision Optics +4 Achromatic Diopter Lens" gives at the stated 110mm extension.
Just checked my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/centu ... c-diopter/

Looks like the +4 century was only 228mm FL as tested.

The 110mm extension length is the tube lens to objective distance (on my site at least).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic