Magazine???

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ray, yes, there was a big implicit smiley on that...

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

I was actually wondering if there were any magazines dedicated to microscopy. I might do a google search on that right now.

Edit: Looks like there are a small number of them. Though none available where I am. There are online versions of course but it would be nice to have a physical copy. Guess I could always order an issue.
Last edited by dragonblade on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

johan

Post by johan »

quekett
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

dragonblade wrote:I was actually wondering if there were any magazines dedicated to microscopy. I might do a google search on that right now.

Edit: Looks like there are a small number of them. Though none available where I am. There are online versions of course but it would be nice to have a physical copy. Guess I could always order an issue.
If we are talking about scientific journals, here are a few, with the publisher in parentheses. However, they are expensive and articles of practical usefulness to amateur microscopists in recent issues of these journals are few and far between:

Journal of Microscopy (RMS/Wiley)
Microscopy (Oxford Academic)
Journal of Microscopy and Ultrastructure (W. Kluwer)
Advanced Microscopy and Imaging (Cell Press)

There are also the following, that I know too little about to recommend (and these days we must always be wary about journal publishers):

International Journal of Microscopy
Journal of Advanced Microscopy Research (Americal Scientific Publishers)

One thing to note is that, for amateur microscopists, legacy microscopy books and journals (19th and early to mid 20th centuries in particular) can be quite useful and are often delightfully illustrated. Some science publishers also make back issues of their journals older than 10-20 years available for free download. Hundreds of books and journals no longer protected by copyright are available for free online, for example at:

Biodiversity Heritage Library: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/
Archive.org: https://archive.org/

ResearchGate and Academia.edu offer very large numbers of PDFs of science articles (uploaded by their respective authors) for free. A membership is required to access them, but it is free. I found many useful papers on microscopy and microbiology on them, especially ResearchGate.

Once you know the title of a paper you want, your friendly Google search engine can often locate freely accessible PDF files of reprints on academic web sites, usually made available by the authors on their personal pages.

There are also other genuine sources for more recent scanned books and reprints, probably in violation of copyright laws but easily found by searching, that I will not list here. It is up to you to decide what to do, but a handful of them do serve real PDF files (sometimes with a limit on daily number of downloads from a single IP address) and no malware.

There are however plenty of "fake" sites that seem to offer books downloads for free, but before you can start they ask you to register and give your credit card details. Steer clear of those (easier said than done, since the largest of them seem to own hundreds of Internet domains, all redirecting to the same useless servers).
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic