results of colour restoration techniques.

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Janak Choudhary

results of colour restoration techniques.

Post by Janak Choudhary »

I am just a beginer and this is my second post on the forum. I am sharing my experience with You all ,of colour restoration techniques which I read here in the forum . I think it might be interesting to you .

Pic- I found this specimen of fly in the water bowl of my pet ,i collected and observed its eye very colorful. it was wet already ,i washed it in soap water and later with fresh water ,dried and immediately went for shooting. Shot with Nikon 10x, with youngnou twin flash ,10 micron step size, about 136 shots at iso 200. This was colour of eyes when fresh.the specimen was too dirty even after washing it. there was some whitish material sticking over the eyes . i left the specimen for later shoot.

Pic 2- second pic is after proper washing and cleanig the eyes with a brush. Again at 10X with Nikon objective .all colours were absent after about 20 hours.

Pic 3-This was taken after applying 20% ammonia solution to the eyes only . some coluration were observed but it wasn't significant.

Pic 4-Than I soaked the specimen in water for about 2.5 hours , after drying i again performed the stack. this time results were amazing ,at least to me .

All pics were taken with Nikon 10X objective , step size 10 micron, number of shots were 130 to 150 ,twin macro flash ,div diffuser. ISO 200.All pics were minimally processed with similar parameters .
I will be pleased to have your comments. Thanx.

Pic 1-Image

Pic 2-

Pic 3-

Pic 4-
canon 1DX mk II .6d markii,7DmkII,Canon 100mm macro,wemacro rail, nikon cfi 10X OBJECTIVE.Amscope 4X ,canon bellows FL,Raynox 250

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent -- thank you for the report!

The loss of color is caused by drying inside the ommatidia, which causes layers to change thickness and sometimes completely separate from each other.

The restoration of color after 2.5 hours must be telling us that was long enough to adequately rehydrate the inner structures, at least as deep as the light penetrates.

--Rik

Janak Choudhary

Post by Janak Choudhary »

rjlittlefield wrote:Excellent -- thank you for the report!

The loss of color is caused by drying inside the ommatidia, which causes layers to change thickness and sometimes completely separate from each other.

The restoration of color after 2.5 hours must be telling us that was long enough to adequately rehydrate the inner structures, at least as deep as the light penetrates.

--Rik
Thanks Rik for your comment and information regarding cause of loss of colour.
some of ommatidia are totally damaged that is why colour didn't restore here as seen in pic 4 as dark patch on left and a similar but smaller patch on right side. after zooming these ommatidia are seen sunken .
canon 1DX mk II .6d markii,7DmkII,Canon 100mm macro,wemacro rail, nikon cfi 10X OBJECTIVE.Amscope 4X ,canon bellows FL,Raynox 250

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic