stereos of Condylostylus flavipes

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

stereos of Condylostylus flavipes

Post by BugEZ »

I wanted some photos with my scanner lens to see how it worked out with flies.

I am quite pleased. These are fine!

Pentax K-01 mirror less camera with Minolta scanner lens on extension. LED lighting, synthetic stereo from Zerene, Processed with DMAP on the lower magnification and with DMAP/PMAX blended on the shot with larger magnification. I ran the images through StereoPhoto Maker. I put a border on the first shot for comparison. Borders can help make viewing a bit easier sometimes.

Keith

Imagedmap stereo by Keith Short, on Flickr

Imagedmap stereo border by Keith Short, on Flickr

Imagesecond image by Keith Short, on Flickr
Aloha

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Keith,

Striking image in 3D, the image just jumps out of the screen !

Well done :smt038

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

adomacro

Post by adomacro »

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Wow, these are super cool cross eye stereo pairs! Really well done!
- Rane

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

OMG! I can see these! What I thought I was seeing before (occasionally) wasn't it. I just had to sit a lot further back from the monitor. Once your eye "locks", it doesn't feel like being cross-eyed anymore - and the 3d is perfect. These are great, but I've got a lot to go look at again now. Including many of my own. Thanks.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

These really work beautifully. Very good illustrations and a delight to look at. Very glad Beatsy's penny has dropped!

Keith what are us using as "glue"? No sign of goop! The flickr pictures are large enough that I can print each image A4(210x297mm), laminate the pair and put them on the wall at school. The reaction will be adolescent, but such is life.
Chris R

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Many thanks mawyatt, adomacro, rolsen and Beatsy for the kind comments.

I have just shifted my bug rig to a dedicated table I constructed a week ago after 9 years on a “temporary” portable Workmate collapsible bench. I wanted to check for any stability issues with the new table and so far so good. I have screwed things down and liberated numerous C-clamps for other projects. Also the kitchen chair that supported the power supply and controller for my stepper and LED lights has been replaced with a built in shelf. Everything is much less precarious. Another retirement project crossed off the list.

ChrisR asked
what are you using as glue?
Sally Hansen “Black Out” Hard as Nails fingernail polish. Thank goodness for the Goth look! Black polish abounds.

I paint the polish on pointy end of a round toothpick/Hors d'oeuvre spear then press it against the distal ends of the mid/hind legs. The dead specimen is cantilevered from there. With some practice that works well. I liked super glue better, but concerns over superglue outgassing and causing condensate on optics caused me to shift to nail polish.

Polish link below.
https://www.pharmapacks.com/products.ph ... KHEALw_wcB

K

Olympusman

Stereos

Post by Olympusman »

Very nice. That last view was very dynamic.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

BugEZ wrote:

ChrisR asked
what are you using as glue?
Sally Hansen “Black Out” Hard as Nails fingernail polish. Thank goodness for the Goth look! Black polish abounds.

I paint the polish on pointy end of a round toothpick/Hors d'oeuvre spear then press it against the distal ends of the mid/hind legs. The dead specimen is cantilevered from there. With some practice that works well. I liked super glue better, but concerns over superglue outgassing and causing condensate on optics caused me to shift to nail polish.

Polish link below.
https://www.pharmapacks.com/products.ph ... KHEALw_wcB

K
I use black nail polish (Wild Shine) I got at the $ store to cover up all my mishaps (scratches and scrapes) :oops: :roll:

Never thought about using it as glue, good idea =D>

Best,
Last edited by mawyatt on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Troels

Post by Troels »

wonderful high fidelity stereo.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

That last stereo is absolutely amazing with those eyes.

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Thanks Troels and Roel.

These small flies are common in Northern Illinois in the mid summer. The adults do mating rituals to help them confirm the species before the female consents to mate. Females of related species are nearly impossible to distinguish visually (believe me, I have tried!) and frequent the same leaves. The males approach females and display hoping that the magic of his hover flight or flight hops tickles her fancy. If she is unresponsive he moves on.

Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic