www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Hi from Los Angeles
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi from Los Angeles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animatexyz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Hi from Los Angeles Reply with quote

Just dropping in to say hi. I'm not much of a macro photographer but I do have an interest in it. The extent of my macro photography to date is my use of a 100mm macro that I use for headshots. lol
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Justin! Very Happy

Probably, a lot of us here use our macro lenses for headshots on occasion--I certainly do. In post, I usually tone down these lenses' relentless sharpness, at least for anyone I don't want to make an enemy of, but that's easily done.

Cheers,

--Chris S.
animatexyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris S. wrote:
Welcome aboard, Justin! Very Happy

Probably, a lot of us here use our macro lenses for headshots on occasion--I certainly do. In post, I usually tone down these lenses' relentless sharpness, at least for anyone I don't want to make an enemy of, but that's easily done.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Thanks Chris !

I do the same unless they have amazing skin.
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animatexyz wrote:
I do the same unless they have amazing skin.

Justin, a thing I like in your portfolio is that your subjects still appear to "have" skin--nice skin, but still within the range of human normal! So many photographers Photoshop faces until they look like mannequins--horrid to my eye.

Other than for news photography, my sense is to retouch faces as if seen by a kindly or loving eye. For example, I was aware that my dear grandmothers had wrinkles, but my eye barely registered these. What I saw when I looked at them was the love in their eyes and smiles. When I photographed them, I wanted others to see my grandmothers as I did--so didn't eliminate the wrinkles completely, but downplayed them a bit in attempt to convey the perspective I saw.

I think your portfolio reflects a similar sensibility--representing the perspective of a kindly eye without going too far and making your subjects look non-human. (OK, a couple of your subjects do have their eyebags entirely removed, instead of just partially downplayed, which does look wrong to me--but my bet is that your clients preferred this look, and as a professional, you acceded to their preferences.

Cheers,

--Chris S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: