10x lens in mind, want easy, simple and affordable solution

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rolsen

10x lens in mind, want easy, simple and affordable solution

Post by rolsen »

Hi All,

I have been reading some forum topics about this issue and one lens caught my eye:
https://www.edmundoptics.eu/microscopy/ ... untryid=76

The results seem to be quite ok and as a finite lens there's no hassle with tube lenses, just bellows and tubes. Canon 80D is my basic tool and I also have 6DmkII and 7DmkII.

But, are there other finite lenses of good price-quality ratio? Better WD than 5,6mm would be ofc awesome, but I understand one simply can't get it all in same package.

I see tube lenses and Mitu's as an inevidable future, but those require more money than I can spend right now.

- Rane

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

That objective is known good for APS-C sensor size.

See "new mfg Nikon 10X NA 0.25 finite objective looks very good" for test report.

--Rik

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Thanks Rik, I'll check that.
- Rane

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

I just placed an order for this 10x finite Nikon, 111,40€ inc. shipping to Finland. Now I just have to stuff some more bugs in my freezer...
- Rane

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I'll definitely have to look into this once I'm done building support hardware.

The quality is good and the price is right.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Have to correct the price, total was 133,68€ (VAT added in final invoice). But, what you get for 130 euros these days? Nifty-fifty maybe, or 1,5 tanks of gasoline.
Item is already shipped, same day I placed the order and they seem to be using UPS. Totally possible I get the lens next week.
- Rane

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rolsen wrote:I just placed an order for this 10x finite Nikon, 111,40€ inc. shipping to Finland. Now I just have to stuff some more bugs in my freezer...
Congrats - always nice to be stepping into new territory. If this is your first foray into 10x, those bugs need to be *much* smaller than you think for whole insect shots :)

I still have a blind spot when it comes to estimating what will fit in the FoV at higher magnifications. So much so, I carry a very tiny ruler in my pocket along with my loupe (it's the y-position scale from an old x/y stage). But even then, certain compositions and poses can often make parts hang off the edges of the view with the first lens I set up to use. It's one of the (many) reasons why lower mag scanner lenses have been such a blessing of late too (I only recently got into using them). They easily capture a whole specimen when I mistakenly estimate it as a candidate for a 5x or 10x objective :roll:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with your new lens. Look forward to seeing your results.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Thanks Beatsy,

We'll have lots of tiny fruit flies Drosophila melanogaster later in the summer, and I'm planning to shoot at least those. 5x was too little, 10x might be there, but as you said, I really have to consider that :D

I mainly shoot parts or tiny detais, whole bugs are so annoying to present and set up and the stacking can be pain too. But, if I wanted to go the easy way, I wouldn't have bothered the stacking in first place.

And, you to blame, I'm just planning to put a post on our finnish forum about broken Minolta DImage Scan Elite 5400/5400II. Would be nice to find a broken one with untouched lens...
- Rane

davidguitar

Post by davidguitar »

that lens looks awesome and a good value for the money. Im looking for a nice 10x aswell. Curently using raynox front lenses on my sigma but i want to get a "real" microscope objective. How are you gonna fit the objektive to a bellow?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That objective has the RMS mount.
Typically you'd go from the bellows front end camera mount female, to 52 x 0.75mm (filter) or M42 x 1mm (M42), then use an adapter from that to RMS. I'd suggest a flat one because the conical ones need very good flocking.
Chris R

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

I have Canon FD bellows and in front of it old FD to M42 adapter (Canon made). Then I use some old Cosina M42 tubes and finally M42 to RMS adapter.
- Rane

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

rolsen wrote:I have Canon FD bellows and in front of it old FD to M42 adapter (Canon made). Then I use some old Cosina M42 tubes and finally M42 to RMS adapter.
Canon has an FD bellows lens adapter that has direct RMS threads, so no need for any additional items. Might be able to find it on eBay.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

mawyatt wrote: Canon has an FD bellows lens adapter that has direct RMS threads, so no need for any additional items. Might be able to find it on eBay.

Best,
Yep, prices are a bit steep TBH, some 60€ and up. I like FD > M42 > RMS better because M42 tubes have smaller diameter than the front of the bellows unit, setting the lights is so much easier.
- Rane

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Placed order on Friday and got the lens Tuesday morning via UPS. Quick delivery, have to say. First impressions: Wow, this is heavy. Well made too. This thing is hard to operate...

Painful learning in immediate future see I.

Couple quick&dirty tests below. Have to say that now I really have to focus on light and diffusion and I now understand better why mixing PMax and DMap is not your enemy but an ally.

ImageTanacetum vulgare flower detail by Rane Olsen, on Flickr

ImageDandelion seed detail by Rane Olsen, on Flickr
- Rane

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic