www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Am I getting this right?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Am I getting this right?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cube-tube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perdu34 wrote:

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here but I would think this is a really bad idea for macrophotography.

Just noticed what you said now. Those are some interesting points... I do not believe that specular highlights are an issue with confocal because the light source is large and coming from many different angles. With light sheet maybe, depending on how the sheet is set up. With 'real' light sheet, a laser is used to create a microscopically thin slice of light, but for our purposes, the sheet could be as big as half of the depth of the subject and still at least partially function by preventing light from hitting parts of the subject that we aren't trying to photograph in those frames.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by separating the input light from the reflected light, because it is definitely possible to use a beamsplitter to illuminate the subject in full color, through the objective. It is true that dichroics don't really apply, because there is no fluorescence involved.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Wood wrote:
I remember a light sheet system, probably 1970s or 1980s, long before digital, stacking, lasers and confocal, that was used to photograph insects.
I wish I could remember how it was done. I have not been able to find any references.

The subject was moved perpendicularly through a thin plane of illumination, on which the camera was focused.

See "Constructing a Scanning Light Photomacrography System" by Ted Clarke.

Quote:
There were amazing photos in magazines, sharp from head to tail but with odd perspective.

The perspective was orthographic, same as a telecentric lens would give.

I expect the odd appearance was mostly because of the large depth of field and the fact that the published pictures were mostly things like head-on views of flies. If the subjects had been oriented obliquely then the perspective would have looked more natural, but the presence of unlit concavities would have made the limitations of the approach more obvious.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: