One more scanner lens-Microtek 9800XL

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

harisA

One more scanner lens-Microtek 9800XL

Post by harisA »

I couldn't resist the new ''scanner lens'' trend created by Robert O Toole.I bought the 17Kgr scanner in an open market for 5 euro. However I had to carry it with my hands for half kilometer.So in the end I can say it was a fair deal......
Microtek 9800xl is an A3 scanner with a line ccd of 21000pixels and 1600 dpi optical resolution.Inside the scanner there is a nice 5 elements /4 groups little lens.

The scanning block :

The lens

harisA

Post by harisA »

The lens has a diameter of 34mm and a length of 38mm.It is a fixed focus lens and was found mounted at a distance of 22mm from the scanners ccd.
CCD has a length of 40mm.Since A3 paper has a width of 300mm we are talking about a 0.13x magnification on sensor.
I manage to mount the lens inside a M42 extension ring.I had to increase its diameter so I used some tape round the lens in order to fix it tight inside the ring.
My macro ring is very elementary.-I use mostly microscopes-I used a Canon 5d FF body and it was fairly easy to achieve 2X magnification with 60-65mm extensions and a working distance of 45mm.I didn't reverse the lens.

The setup:

Full frame coverage is good and I think this lens can perform quite well in the hands of a skillfull photographer.Please understand my limited experience in this magnification range. The following is a single image-no stacking.

100% crop from the center:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Looks interesting and you cant beat the price!

Have you tried it in reverse?

The un-cropped image looks pretty good at the small size here, the crop image of the chip doesn't look 100% focused. Normally I run a deep stack to make sure to get surface of the chip in focus.

Robert

Vector1968

Post by Vector1968 »

I think you should make a comparison.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Judging from the picture showing the scanner interior, it may be worth investigating whether you can use the chassis, rails and motor as a motorized rack for focus stacking. Assuming it has an optical resolution of 1600 DPI along both axes, the rack should be able of steps of about 16 microns and a total travel of about 420 mm.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic