Vertical Stack Gizmo

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

Vertical Stack Gizmo

Post by augusthouse »

I've mentioned this idea in a few posts and managed to put (what is for now) the last couple of bolts in place this morning, so I thought I would post some quick photos, just taken with on-board flash.

Needs a larger base plate; but it's level, balanced and very stable as is. Still early days, though the photos should provide a good indication of its potential (positive and negative).

It utilizes linear optical stage postioners for XYZ translation (I'd have to check the specs for the available increments). I can achieve 1" with the current Z actuator but this can be increased.

There is a 4mm-60mm pin actuated iris diaphragm under the interchangable stage plate.

The mirror housing is from a Durst M601 enlarger, though I hope to replace this with a flat panel solution.

I haven't made any serious test shots yet. I'm moving onto lighting and Helicon Focus and/or CombineZM once I have the whole setup on a rock solid bench.

It can all come apart and I have a few alternative configerations that will work given the components used in construction (Newport, Parker Daedal, Thorlabs).

The lens in shot is an EL-Nikkor (Zenji Wakimoto).

Overall, the biggest cost was postage and shipping.

Craig

Last edited by augusthouse on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Craig,

This is very cool!

I'm intrigued by your comment that "the biggest cost was postage and shipping". Did you get that positioner from eBay, or have you found another magic source?

--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Hi Rik,
All the parts came from eBay. Having them shipped from the US to Australia proved to be the most expensive component overall as they were purchased from different sellers and all in good condition.

For example, the Parker Daedal 4522 XY stages came as a pair with actuators for US$75.00+ P/H. The Z translator is a Parker Daedal 4522, one of a pair that were purchased without actuators US$45.00; but I was actually able to find a Starrett actuator for this in Australia for AUD$12.00. The Thorlabs AP90 right angle brackets were US$49.00 each + P/H. The Newport stage plate US$23.00 + P/H. The Iris Diaphragm US$23.00 + P/H. The glass stage is from a stereo microscope and I purchased a pair for US$14.00 + P/H. The white-over-black stage plates were US$5.00. The mirror housing is one of the many useful bits I salvaged from a Durst M601 enlarger that was purchased in Australia for $20.00.

It's probably a good thing that most of the components came from the US as all the threads are 'Imperial'. I checked all the specs and engineering diagrams for these items before purchasing. The information on the various manufacturers' websites is extremely detailed even though my actual knowledge of such things is limited.
It took a while to accumulate the parts, as sometimes on eBay there are only expensive ones and not that many to choose from; but quite often some excellent units are offered for sale at extremely good prices. It's either a flood or a drought. I had quite a few searches 'saved' and would often look long and hard - it was quite an education.

There are so many 'add-ons' out there for optical stages that enable you to build almost anything with whatever features you desire (rotators, crescent rotators, tilt, posts and clamps, reflectors, deflectors, FO holders, an endless list) and the build quality is exceptional.

The items are designed for laser optical benches, so their accuracy and precision can be respected. Approaching it from that angle, with the intended photographic purposes in mind it was like striking gold!

I use the X and Y for positioning and composition and the Z for stacking. The Z positioner can provide 25 measured increments per millimetre, but that is not its limit. The Z actuator currently in use provides 1" translation (25mm), but this can be increased to 2 inches. In addition, there is no 'backlash' with these guys - they hold their ground between increments and have a large load capacity.

I have the camera side of things locked down, so it's only the subject stage that is moving; but another area of opportunity opens up with one of the translators on a plate attached to the camera.

I'm looking to put it on a larger base plate, only for practical reasons, its more balanced than the photos might portray. As mentioned in my first post, there are a number of configeration possibilities here, expecially in regard to where I place the mirror housing (beam-splitter), or if I use a flat-panel solution.

For now, I'm inclined to make 2 alternate interchangable 'specimen stages' in a similar method demonstrated in the images below with the base lighting beneath the stage. I'm aware that there are lighting 'principals' involved with either approach; I'm still learning about some of those apsects.

The Olympus PMT-35 below:

A couple of recent posts in 'Equipment Discusions' and the links contained therein have been extremely informative.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=3683

Craig
Last edited by augusthouse on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

I have made a few alterations with materials that I have on hand. Still waiting on a substantially larger baseboard that will accommodate additional accessories.

The base lighting is now separated from the positioner. This will allow more options in regard to the lighting techniques employed and it doesn't look as 'awkward'.

The interchangeable stage now uses an enlarger lens board. This enables the base lighting to come up through the adjustable iris diaphragm. I will have a custom lens board made to suit.

For subjects larger than 60mm (iris diaphragm max.) I will replace the lens board stage with a clear plate and light from various angles or another option would be to attach or suspend the subject from the positioner and illuminate from underneath with a Light Pad - similar to that used by Visionary Digital. (*later note - I just managed to pick up a Fostec Fiber Optic light pad - nice!)

http://www.visionarydigital.com/lightpad.html

In addition, the camera itself is attached to a Nikon PB6 Bellows and a Nikon PF-4 copy/repro stand. The PF-4 provides two levels of course focus and the bellows allows a third. The fine focus and stacking is left up to the positioner in the pictures.

Craig

The picture below shows the modified mirror housing and Sivobox diffuser taken from a Durst M601.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic