Thank you for the help

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

garretgreen

Thank you for the help

Post by garretgreen »

Thank you for the help with the sharp images issues I was having, now all is needed is a solid light system to get this thing running. Here is the flea i have been using to get this thing running! Also found out how to Photostack an image. Any ideas on how to get rid of 50 years of chips and gunk on the optics in the microscope.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Glad to hear that you're getting sharper images now.

About cleaning the microscope, I assume the problem is that you're seeing dust & debris spots in your images. In that case, the first thing to do is figure out exactly where the gunk is. The simplest place to start is to rotate various pieces of the system, for example the eyepiece, condenser, and objective, each separately. Whichever one causes the spot to rotate along with the optics is where the offending debris is located.

Once you have found the debris, you can start to remove it, beginning with a blower, then a soft brush, then a swab wetted with distilled water. Be sure to wipe once, in one direction (or spiral), and do not re-use the swab. Some of the debris may be hard enough to scratch lenses, so use the swab in a way that will pick debris off the surface, not scrub it in. If you have debris that is not water-soluble, then you will have to use solvents, starting with say 70% ethanol. Be aware that some common glass-cleaning products such as Windex may contain ammonia, which may affect or remove lens coatings. Do a Google search on "cleaning microscope objectives" for good recommendations.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

You can download the useful booklet "The clean microscope" from Zeiss

https://applications.zeiss.com/C1257929 ... cope_e.pdf
Pau

garretgreen

Post by garretgreen »

With a little fear and some good old time I was able to get the microscope lens clean. Here is a Photo of an anther after I finished cleaning the optics. :D I also got the layer stacking to run a bit better vs the first image.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

:smt023

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic