Found some more interesting pond life

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mo Vaughan

Found some more interesting pond life

Post by Mo Vaughan »

The first picture looks like a beautiful butterfly.
this one I came across and thought 'it must be love'.
This beaut I have taken six shots and am going to try to stack them to see if i can use these super duper programmes made by you guys in the States.
After my last 'cock up' (more than three photo's) I have remembered this time.
If anyone knows the names of these micro organisms I'd be pleased to know their names.
Thank you,
Mo. :smt026 ](*,)
Thebeeman

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The pair in the middle picture appear to be conjugating paramecia. This is in fact an act of "love" -- they are exchanging genetic material for the purpose of maintaining viability of the population. (Two paramecia aligned head-to-tail are in the late stages of division. The side-by-side position indicates conjugation.)

The other two pictures, I do not recognize.

BTW, most of the stacking software is actually not written in the U.S. CombineZM is British, and Helicon Focus is Ukrainian!

--Rik

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi Mo,

I'm trawling through your posts and I reckon I can help with your third photo. I think that it is the colonial golden-brown flagellate Synura. To be honest it is difficult to be sure from your photo. The cells are covered with very fine scales and each have two flagella of different lengths.

best wishes

Brian O

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic