Epi lighting using a Nikon UM-2 Measurescope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Epi lighting using a Nikon UM-2 Measurescope

Post by ChrisR »

Posts split from thread at Scalpel vs double-edge razor
Smokedaddy wrote:Here's the Feather blade at 40x. It's a PMAX stack. I'm not sure what the somewhat blurry areas are or IF it's just how it is. Haven't done the scalpel blade yet.

At a tangent - how did you light the last image, with the 40x NA 0.80?
Only 0.8mm WD iirc. I assume you used epi-lighting?
Last edited by ChrisR on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:At a tangent - how did you light the last image, with the 40x NA 0.80?
Only 0.8mm WD iirc. I assume you used epi-lighting?
Yes ...

-JW:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Please excuse the continuation of the tangent :D

I have the same parts, up to the top of the cream colored Trinoc tube.
Could you tell me what parts are not visible within, and above, please?
You have some photo eyepiece in there I assume, and the black tube - ?
thanks
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Sure, the black tube is a Nikon microscope photo tube adapter PA01-12A with a Canon T-mount adapter. It has one of those 2.5x photo eyepieces in the trinocular tube. I don't normally use that setup. Meaning the tube and photo relay eyepiece but usually do with the MM-11 when using the EPI setup. I would think that the tube could easily be 3D printed or machines. They want a arm and a leg for one of those puppies. I found one on eBay for a fraction of the price of a new one so I bought it. The T-mount adapter doesn't fit like it should and I haven't looked into way yet since I rarely have used it.

-JW:h

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks
The black part's just a plain tube, with no optics?
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:Thanks
The black part's just a plain tube, with no optics?
No optics.

https://webstore.diaginc.com/PA1-12A-35 ... a1-12a.htm

-JW:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

$269.00 and it's not even flocked!
Thanks, I have some plumbing which can go on there.
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I wouldn't pay that either, nor even 2/3rd's that. <g>

genera

Post by genera »

Here's a cheaper alternative if you're using a Nikon camera (see the 2nd Photo):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-UFX-DX-L ... SwVVRacowe

The UFX-II body + adapter "A" together are the same length as the DI PA1-12A plus T-MNT adapter. The bottom diameters are the same too so it can be used in place of the PA1-12A.

I posted here a year ago on how to move the UFX internal optics out of the way and open the shutter with a battery and jumper wires. Here's the link if decide to try it.
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... c&start=15
-Gene

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks Gene
That looked attractive at $20 until I saw the shipping is $67 even to the US, and I'm in the UK.
There seem to be a lot of similar-looking Nikon contraptions about; I assume that's the only one with the relevant features and fittings?
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Just for clarification my pictured Frankinscope is a MM-11. I know they are similar. I wonder if the 'internal' focus gearing components are the same on the UM-2 is the same as a MM-11.

I still think it would be super simple to 3D print a tube 'exactly' as the one I posted and glue the proper camera adapter on one end.

A while back I 3D printed a Nikon MM-11 dovetail by 30.5 Tiffen filter adapter, see image below, just to see if it worked and for no particular reason. It's a Ttiffen 30.5 UV filter (number 2) that I took the glass out of, then glued it onto the 3D printed adapter (number 1). Then I reverse and screw my 28mm Schneider Kreuznach Componon on the end of it as shown below. Of course I can always redesign the 3D printed PLA adapter to make it shorter to some degree or longer.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

BTW, I don't have a manual for the UM-2, only the UM-11U and UM-22U so I couldn't verify the focus components compatibility (not that it matters).

genera

Post by genera »

ChrisR wrote:Thanks Gene
That looked attractive at $20 until I saw the shipping is $67 even to the US, and I'm in the UK.
There seem to be a lot of similar-looking Nikon contraptions about; I assume that's the only one with the relevant features and fittings?
You must be seeing UK shipping. It's $28 to me in the US.

The Nikon AFX-II microscope camera is functionally identical in the critical areas so it will also work. The PFX may work but I haven't examined one.

Here's another UFX. It's an auction style listing with the bid currently at $25 plus $33 shipping to the UK, plus $10 import charges (based on the current bid amount):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Microsco ... 1#shpCntId

Nikon also makes a tube called the "F Mount Photo Adapter". It's functionally equal to a PA1-12A that has a F mount adapter attached. They don't have any markings so no one knows what to call them, making them somewhat difficult to find.
Here's a look at one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Microsco ... 0005.m1851

None of these are complete solutions, even the PA1-12A. You still need an adapter tube between it and the trinocular port as well as a relay lens.
-Gene

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Genera wrote:You still need an adapter tube between it and the trinocular port ....
Oh, I didn't realise that.
What's supposed to go between the shutter unit and the trinoc tube?

I have some tubes with M42 at the top which slide in to the trinoc port well enough that I should be able, maybe some tape, get it central and grip with the thumbscrew.
The shutter appeals, for clattery Nikon cameras without EFSC.

(Shipping varies all over the place. The $67 was to a different US State, and the "estimates" to the UK are never right!)
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic