Need help setup camera

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

makabrys

Need help setup camera

Post by makabrys »

Hi guys I'm Alex , first and most important I like photography in general , but macro is something that triggers my mind ! ..is another world and I want to discover it.

I never used any DSLR camera , just a Panasonic amateur camera .I got yesterday a second hand Nikon D3200 because was a nice price and I want to make it to shoot macro -
but since I'm a student I can't afford any expensive equipment so I search online and I found this guy , who use reverse lens and he makes super nice photos -
His equipment -

Nikon D5200
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX kit lens
Yongnuo YN560 II Speedlight
Yongnuo RF-603N Flash Triggers
Homemade flash diffuser
Nikon 52mm Filter Reverse Ring

So I have some questions ! :

I found a Yongnuo YN560 flash for Nikon but the first one ! for 25 euro , does the same job or should I but II -IV or more ? Is it worth to buy a second hand one?!

Also what do you suggest to use revers lens or extension tubes - I don't want to invest more then 100 euro atm - because I don't have the money but in the future I will for sure ! ...

So guys please help me out , what do you think will work best ?!

Thank you so much, have a great day

Alex

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

No problem :).

You will need to buy.... paper, tissue paper, aluminium foil, some cardboard.

You will need surprisingly even/soft light.
Use paper and tissue paper (like kitchen paper) as a diffuser for the flash. You can do things like reflect light with the foil, to the side of the diffuser opposite the flash. What you have in your picture may not be the best for macro - you need to surround the subject with even light.

If you reverse the lens you may need a small "lens hood" on the exposed rear of the lens. As it's a "G" lens you'll need a small piece of cardboard to hold the aperture setting lever partly shut. You'll be guessing what the aperture really is.

If you use an extension tube it may reduce the working distance to nothing, with the zoom at the short end, but it'll work at the longer end.

You'll have to experiment to see where you lens works best.

Have a look at Rik's "Shooting with a reversed 18-55 mm Canon kit lens (how to get 1.5-5X magnification "the easy way" )" http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15239

You'll need a small tripod or stand, or two.

Enough to go on?
Chris R

makabrys

Post by makabrys »

ChrisR wrote:No problem :).
Hi Chris , thx for the information but I'm not going to shoot indoor maybe when is super bad weather outside ! . I like to go out , also I want some answers to my questions if anyone knows something !

Kind regards,
Alex

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

All the above applies to working outside, too.
Add a flash bracket!
Flash make/model makes little difference. Work on manual at first.
Other questions??
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic