www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Looking for Thread Adapters
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Looking for Thread Adapters

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Daniel_Han



Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Looking for Thread Adapters Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a specific type of thread adapter.:
M6 to 1/4'' male to male, M4 to 1/4'' would do, but I prefer the former.

This is a weird thing to ask for, as two different screw standards exist here. I looked all over the web and did find a site offering the adapter, but unfortunately they had none in stock, and weren't looking to restock anytime soon. I am out of luck.

I want to mount my arca-swiss clamps that are 1/4''-20 threaded to my precision devices, they take M6 bolts. I was able to find a clamp that took M6 bolts, contacted the company (Photoclam), and they never responded.

An M6 bolt can't take a 1/4'' nut due to thread differences. It will go in and lock tight, but not all the way in:


Here's the plate I salvaged from ballhead number 83714 I don't even know how many ballheads I have at this point... (and yeah, that's a massive ballhead)


Perfect fit on the labjack:


Any source for such an adapter will be greatly appreciated, or a workaround that doesn't involve machining would be great too!

Thanks in Advance Very Happy
_________________
The world of Macro is a world that most people are missing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chris S.
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 2979
Location: Ohio, USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,

Quoting a seven-year-old post:

"As I purchased them, the Noga gauge stands each came with a tip designed for holding a gauge used by machinists but of little use in my application. However, unscrewing this tip revealed a hole with M6 threads. Inserting an M6 to 1/4-20" thread adapter gave me a standard threaded screw end compatible with common photography equipment. Here is a Thorlabs AP25E6M thread adapter ($1.70) screwed into the M6 hole. I may switch to the Edmund Optics NT58-988 thread adapter ($5.50). The Thorlabs thread adapters work well, but do not have a barrier to act as a positive stop between the thread sizes, which would make using them more convenient. The ones from Edmund do. [Later note: I did, after writing this post, try the Edmund Optics NT58-988 thread adapters, but found that they are not long enough to reach the Noga threads--so I don't recommend them for this application. So far as I currently know, the Thorlabs AP25E6M thread adapter is still the best bet.]"

--Chris S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mawyatt



Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1401
Location: Clearwater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not tap the ARCA Clamp with an M6 then you could use an M6 thread, or the other way around, tap a 1/4-20 thread to the M6 device, whichever way works?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisR
Site Admin


Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Posts: 7689
Location: Near London, UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mawyatt wrote:
Why not tap the ARCA Clamp with an M6 then you could use an M6 thread, or the other way around, tap a 1/4-20 thread to the M6 device, whichever way works?

I agree. It's worth a try.
_________________
Chris R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daniel_Han



Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris S. wrote:
Daniel,

Quoting a seven-year-old post:

"As I purchased them, the Noga gauge stands each came with a tip designed for holding a gauge used by machinists but of little use in my application. However, unscrewing this tip revealed a hole with M6 threads. Inserting an M6 to 1/4-20" thread adapter gave me a standard threaded screw end compatible with common photography equipment. Here is a Thorlabs AP25E6M thread adapter ($1.70) screwed into the M6 hole. I may switch to the Edmund Optics NT58-988 thread adapter ($5.50). The Thorlabs thread adapters work well, but do not have a barrier to act as a positive stop between the thread sizes, which would make using them more convenient. The ones from Edmund do. [Later note: I did, after writing this post, try the Edmund Optics NT58-988 thread adapters, but found that they are not long enough to reach the Noga threads--so I don't recommend them for this application. So far as I currently know, the Thorlabs AP25E6M thread adapter is still the best bet.]"

--Chris S.


Thanks for the headsup! I have this exact item in my cart and just realised.
Not too bad either, $2 a pop seems just okay.

How hard would it be to tap an M6 thread? I should look into doing so. Seems like the easiest way.
_________________
The world of Macro is a world that most people are missing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chris S.
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 2979
Location: Ohio, USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel_Han wrote:
How hard would it be to tap an M6 thread? I should look into doing so. Seems like the easiest way.

If you drill and tap a fresh hole, say in one of your Arca-style plates, it's very easy. Just buy an M6 tap, corresponding drill bit (a quick look indicates 5.2mm--make sure it's a bit intended for drilling metal), and T-handle. Then watch a couple of YouTube videos on the subject and you should have no problem. If you want to be extra careful, you can buy a cheap piece of aluminum stock to practice on first.

But if you're talking about re-tapping an existing 1/4-20 threaded hole to an M6 thread, I'd be much more wary (haven't tried this, but think it would just make a mess). If this is what you need, the thought comes to mind of drilling out the existing threads and putting in something like a Heli-Coil screw thread insert.

--Chris S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group