Tube lens for Mitty & Nikon Plan Apo

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

Tube lens for Mitty & Nikon Plan Apo

Post by nielsgeode »

Recently I heard rumors that the Nikon 200mm f/4 AI-s would be a (slightly) better tube lens than the well known Raynox DCR-250.

Does anyone has experience with this Nikon lens and what are your findings?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou did a test some time ago and found the Nikon 200mm f4 "Q" lens to be slightly better than the Raynox 150. The Raynox 250 is 125mm not 200mm (the 150 is actually 208.3mm). These old Nikons are available on eBay for less than $60 US.

I have 2 of the "Q" versions as well as both the Raynoxs and prefer the Nikon simply because it's easier to get setup without having to worry about the tubes. If you use a vertical l setup beware of lens creep.

Best,

Mike

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

mawyatt wrote:Lou did a test some time ago and found the Nikon 200mm f4 "Q" lens to be slightly better than the Raynox 150. The Raynox 250 is 125mm not 200mm (the 150 is actually 208.3mm). These old Nikons are available on eBay for less than $60 US.
What is "Q"? Is it the same optical formula as the 200mm f4 Ai? I know that the Ai and Ai-S versions are optically identical, but not sure about the "Q" version. I have seen that a ring collar is available for the Ai and Ai-S verisons. Is there one for the "Q" version as well?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Think the "Q" version is the one that requires a modification to the base tab to fit onto a modern Nikon F Mount. Here's the mod I did. I believe it's the 4 element optical formula, while the later version use 5 elements. Google it.

Remember that a good lens in normal use doesn't necessarily translate to a good lens for tube use, case in point the Rokinon/Samyang 135mm F2. This is a stellar lens in performance. Rivaling Zeiss and the new Sigma Art 135mm, but a poor tube lens!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Niels have you seen the concurrent discussion here : Q means 4 elements as in Quattro or equivalent from whichever language the Japanese thought was cool. P =5, H = 6 etc.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 098#224098
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic