Looking for help with selecting an objective.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tevans9129

Looking for help with selecting an objective.

Post by tevans9129 »

I have not learned how to make use of the search command as yet so would like to ask a question that no doubt has been previously answered. My knowledge of objective lens is minimal so I am looking for assistance from those that are knowledgeable if you would be so kind.

My intent is to upgrade my Amscope 4x to get better image quality, but, I need to stay around a limit of $200. The Edmundoptics #59-934 is one that I am considering or perhaps a used one from Ebay such as the Nikon 5x CF plan. It would be helpful if you would list perhaps three that you would recommend up to the $200 or so range.

My use is strictly for critters and I prefer to use a bellows. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ted

Saul

Post by Saul »

If you have good patience and luck- with this budget you can get Mitutoyo on ebay.
Saul
μ-stuff

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Which Amscope 4x is it that you have, Ted? Is it the $17.50 one which did well in Robert Otoole's test? http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=36028
It takes some detailed reading ;)

If so, then it may be you'd have a hard time reliably beating it, short of finding a fortunate bargain.
For "critter" pictures you may well be prepared to concentrate on the middle where Planapos should be sharper, but you'd be lucky to find one for $200.

There would be more choice/options with infinite objectives, for which you need a tube lens. The Mitutoyos are infinites, and you may well need to spend over your budget, for the objective without the tube lens
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic