Western Conifer Seed Bug

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Post by Olympusman »

We usually get these invaders in our house at the start of winter. They resemble Assassin Bugs, so I jump on them right away.
Western Conifer Seed Bug Leptoglossus occidentalis

Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

If that is really a Leptoglossus occidentalis (our "imported" variety is a bit darker) he is a good BUGger ...

came to Portugal in 2010 (from the USA), via Italy ....

the little b#### in less than 3 years reduced our production of pine seed to less than half leaving pine seed farmers with more than 160 million € losses / year...

since the pine seed (only part affected) is very light the damage done is only noticed when the pine cones get broken in the factory ...
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Olympusman

Bug

Post by Olympusman »

The interesting thing about bugs is their diversity even within their own species. A few years ago I captured and photographed a black jumping spider with white spots on its back. I contacted an expert on jumping spiders who was in New Mexico and showed him my specimen. The spots on my specimen were different from the ones he had documented, but he agreed that my species and the ones he had recorded were the same.
Really makes our findings interesting, doesn't it?

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic