Another use for UV torches

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Another use for UV torches

Post by Beatsy »

They're ideal for quickly revealing dust on sensors or optics - the particles light up like Christmas! Far quicker than faffing about taking f/22 test shots, or using a magnifier while tilting the equipment this way and that to catch the light (and having it vulnerable to attracting even more dust in the process).

Cheap banknote checkers work OK, but the dust fluoresces less strongly than with higher-powered narrow band torches (as discussed here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33123). It doesn't work for grease spots or certain mineral-based dust specks, but you'll rarely have only that sort of detritus landing on or in your equipment.

Bleedin' obvious really - but I hadn't thought of it till last night, duh... :roll:

Oh, and be prepared for a minor heart attack when you shine it on a sensor or lens that you think is clean! My sensors were pristine (yay), but I found the inside of new and expensive lens to be utterly infested with lint! Almost wish I hadn't looked (it's going back)...

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Yep, obvious after the fact. Good idea, I had not been using the UV light for this but it makes perfect sense and works very well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic