www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Another use for UV torches
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another use for UV torches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Another use for UV torches Reply with quote

They're ideal for quickly revealing dust on sensors or optics - the particles light up like Christmas! Far quicker than faffing about taking f/22 test shots, or using a magnifier while tilting the equipment this way and that to catch the light (and having it vulnerable to attracting even more dust in the process).

Cheap banknote checkers work OK, but the dust fluoresces less strongly than with higher-powered narrow band torches (as discussed here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33123). It doesn't work for grease spots or certain mineral-based dust specks, but you'll rarely have only that sort of detritus landing on or in your equipment.

Bleedin' obvious really - but I hadn't thought of it till last night, duh... Rolling Eyes

Oh, and be prepared for a minor heart attack when you shine it on a sensor or lens that you think is clean! My sensors were pristine (yay), but I found the inside of new and expensive lens to be utterly infested with lint! Almost wish I hadn't looked (it's going back)...
ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, obvious after the fact. Good idea, I had not been using the UV light for this but it makes perfect sense and works very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: