Moth ID help (Yellow Underwing?)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Overread

Moth ID help (Yellow Underwing?)

Post by Overread »

A couple of photos from the trap, not a good night and only caught three moths in the trap so a quieter night; but then again its not the best nor warmest of weather and it is getting into mid September.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in moth ID/photography critique/any tips/pointers

I believe this to be a Large Yellow Underwing (Nocuta pronuba) based on the overall wing shape and markings. It doesn't seem to have enough markings, esp on the lower ends of the wing to make it a lesser nor a lunar variant. However I could well be mistaken.

Taken with Canon 7D and Sigma 70mm macro
Both taken at f13, ISO 100, 1/200sec (my 7D can sync faster, but its already flashing a warning light when using the wireless canon setup as its an older body).

Lighting was one flash either side with softbox, the one on the right having a larger box. I did aim for generally even lighting rather than being more creative with it, though wanted a little shadowing going on.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

I've no idea as to the id, but the second image is quite nice in regard to both lighting and the reflection effect--

Overread

Post by Overread »

Thanks Leonard, I'm still messing around with a lighting setup and base to work with; at present its still the top off the moth trap, but I might well get some more in a smaller size to work with so that I can move around it more easily and have it held up higher (at present its right on top of the trap to also discourage any other moths escaping).

JKT

Post by JKT »

Noctua pronuba it is not. The wings are too wide and the inner main marking (whatever it is called in English) is not like that.

Noctua comes and N. interjecta are the two candidates IMHO.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic