Psychedelic NW Skipper Butterfly & Lavender Floret

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LVF

Psychedelic NW Skipper Butterfly & Lavender Floret

Post by LVF »

Attention moderators

I searched this web site for a digital artistry type forum but found nothing appropriate for my following post. If you find a more relevant forum please move this post. Or, if this post does not belong on this web site, please remove it.

On September 5th, I posted close-up photographs of several Pacific Northwest Skipper butterflies sucking nectar out of lavender florets in my back yard. The photographs were presented in this forum.

This is the last photograph I posted of a Skipper butterfly:

I like to play around in Photoshop and have been experimenting with photographs in the Lab mode as opposed to the normal RGB mode. So I played around with this last photograph in Photoshop by changing its RGB mode into a Lab mode file, and came up with some interesting changes I would like to share with you. Here are some changes I did to the photograph in the Lab mode.

I equalized the L channel to get a more contrasty photo:

I equalized the B channel to change the purple blue florets to a bright blue:

Now, I decided to get a little wild and inverted the Lab file, which produced a beauitful blue Skipper butterfly and green florets:

I thought it best that the blue butterfly suck neutar out of an orange floret by inverting the B channel. A better contrast in color between the floret and butterfly:

I then went to the channel mixer to have the butterfly suck nectal out of a hot pink floret:

Then, I decided I needed something a little wilder, psychedelic, so I used the difference blend mode with an inverted Lab channel layer over the original photo layer:

Ultimately, something very different:

I came across this mysterious looking photo unexpectedly. This is the psychedelic photo (photo #7) converted to the Lab mode then imediately saved as a Tiff file without any changes to photo #7. When I opened this Tiff file in IrfanView, I got this mysterious looking photo, I was quite surprized. I had to use IrfanView to save it as a Jpg file inorder to show it on the web. If I used Photoshop's "save for web", it would have been changed back to the psychedelic photo (photo #7 above).

If you look closely, you can see the Skipper butterfly and lavender floret.

Leon

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Interesting! Keep it up!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

LVF

Post by LVF »

Thank you Mark.

Still playing with Lab mode. Will try some close-up flower photos that I have posted here a few months ago.

Leon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic