Zygo Interference Microscope Project

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Zygo Interference Microscope Project

Post by RobertOToole »

Just picked up a Zygo Microscope yesterday in the silicon valley. I don't really need a new project but the price was so low I couldn't resist :D

A couple of interesting things I noticed so far.

The Z column has +- 2 deg roll and pitch adjustments. I guess this is meant to replace the function of a goniometer or leveling base.

Judging by the red sticker on the front warning eye protection must be worn when using the scope I assume this is a Laser Interference Microscope.

The Parker Daedal XY positioners look new and have 6 inches of travel!

The extra large base gives the scope super stability compared to my MM scope set ups. I think the MM scopes were designed with a small footprint in mind.

The base has a built-in 1/4-20 breadboard!

The scope came with Zygo 2X and 40X objectives but since this thing is designed for measuring surfaces I wouldn't expect a very large image circle from these so these two will end up on Ebay.

Tomorrow I will start pulling the covers off, I am interested to see what I find.

My plan is to use the XY positioners and the scope base, maybe the column to built a new vertical rig, but other than that, I doubt I will find anything useful for photography in the case.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of scope?

Robert

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Robert

I read that this type of Zygo was an MM-11 clone or even a licence version by Nikon.

Your coming "tear down" will enlighten that comment.

BR

John

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Found a couple of very interesting things when I pulled the Zygo scope apart.

The scope had to come apart to get it inside since it was too big to get my arms around it.

The base is measures 20in (50cm) x 24in (61cm). My MM-11 base is 10.5in x 13in.

This is the MM scope base on top of the Zygo base for scale. Thats a lot of room to work!

Roll and pitch levers. The movement is marked +-2 deg but the controls move freely past the markings.

Do not turn off?

This is looking up under the column, that looks a lot like a Parker Daedal positioner peaking out.

The column is 27 inches tall. The MM-11 column is 17.5in tall.

The enclosure is mounted with a dovetail plate so it takes 1 minute to remove. Under the dovetail there is another Parker Daedal 6 inch travel positioner, this time a cross bearing unit with a motor and super fine threaded shaft.

Parker rates this positioner for 100 million inches of travel at the 719 pound load rating! Thats the actual rating! List price on the positioner is $2400+ without the motor. (the XY units are only $1800 per).

Next I will sell the objectives and scope enclosure to help cover the cost of the unit.

Then I will work on setting up the base and column for photography. The MM-11 scope base works great but I find the travel is not enough for longer focal length lenses so this scope column might be better for that type of work.

Any good ideas for the rest of the project? Please be sure to share them.

Thanks

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:Hi Robert

I read that this type of Zygo was an MM-11 clone or even a licence version by Nikon.

Your coming "tear down" will enlighten that comment.

BR

John
Hi John, yes the MM-11 and one of the Zygo scopes I have are identical. This new scope is much more sophisticated unit and its a lot larger, I was surprised how much larger this new scope was next to the Nikon MM. Check out the images below. The scope is so big I couldn't get my arms around it to carry it inside even if I could lift it, which I could sort of, but it did take 3 men to load it into my SUV when I picked it up.

Robert

Sager

Post by Sager »

Thanks for info Robert! I just picked up an identical unit :)

Are you going to retain the roll & pitch adjustments when you mount a camera? Or just attach directly to the cross roller stage?

Best,
Jonathan

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Sager wrote:Thanks for info Robert! I just picked up an identical unit :)

Are you going to retain the roll & pitch adjustments when you mount a camera? Or just attach directly to the cross roller stage?

Best,
Jonathan
Directly to the stage with a QR clamp on top of a focus block.

I found a buyer for the objectives and the scope enclosure :D

Glad I could help.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic