Cheap Manual Speedlights

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Cheap Manual Speedlights

Post by Deanimator »

Amazon has their house brand speedlights on sale for $23.26 a piece!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I09WHLW/re ... 95255f8e_S

I wasn't willing to risk $70.00 for Yongnuos with a known issue, but for around a THIRD of the price of the YN560s, I was willing to take a chance. I ordered two.

I also ordered their two receiver wireless triggers and transmitter for less than $16.00!

RobertOToole

Re: Cheap Manual Speedlights

Post by RobertOToole »

Deanimator wrote:Amazon has their house brand speedlights on sale for $23.26 a piece!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I09WHLW/re ... 95255f8e_S

I wasn't willing to risk $70.00 for Yongnuos with a known issue, but for around a THIRD of the price of the YN560s, I was willing to take a chance. I ordered two.

I also ordered their two receiver wireless triggers and transmitter for less than $16.00!
Hi Deanimator,

Give us an update when you get them please. I would like to see if the output is consistent enough to use for stacking and also if the recycle time is decent.

Thanks for the tip.

Robert

Deanimator

Re: Cheap Manual Speedlights

Post by Deanimator »

RobertOToole wrote:Hi Deanimator,

Give us an update when you get them please. I would like to see if the output is consistent enough to use for stacking and also if the recycle time is decent.

Thanks for the tip.

Robert
I should get everything tomorrow evening after work, although I'm concerned about the flashes and triggers since they're coming USPS and the last time they purported to deliver something, it was never heard from again.

Still, assuming I actually get them, I can try out the flashes and triggers tomorrow, since the camera's already on the macro stand and I only need to reconfigure my subject stage to hold the flashes. DSLR Controller is set for a five second pause between exposures, and at 1/128, the flashes should be fine for a reasonable number of consecutive exposures.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I didn't get my flashes or triggers today.

USPS made no attempt to deliver them, but lied about it.

I made a complaint via Amazon. We'll see if they deliver tomorrow.

The friend to whom I have everything sent won't be in the office tomorrow morning, so that's probably when they'll CLAIM to have tried to deliver the items.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I got my flashes and triggers today.

They work in test mode.

If I can get them set up on my table before I have to got to bed, I'll try them with the camera and DSLR Controller tonight.

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

It will be very interesting to know how repeatable the exposure is from shot to shot, i.e. to successive pictures of the same subject produce the same RGB values or are there variations.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Peter M. Macdonald wrote:It will be very interesting to know how repeatable the exposure is from shot to shot, i.e. to successive pictures of the same subject produce the same RGB values or are there variations.
I'm having issues making them work.

They work off and on the camera when the test button on the transmitter is pressed, but won't work from inside DSLR Controller. They will work NOT in DSLR Controller or live view.

Camera is a Canon T4i. Triggers are 16 channel Neewers.

Any suggestions?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I've had trouble with these Neewer triggers before, and the similar other brands. They work at 433MHz and have a tendency to miss triggers, completely hosing up many long stacking sessions. Sometimes some receivers will trigger and the other one(s) won't, again hosing up many stacks.

I've moved away from the 433MHz to the 2.4GHz triggers, like the Adorama R1 (Godox X1), much more reliable.

Best,

Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Peter M. Macdonald wrote:It will be very interesting to know how repeatable the exposure is from shot to shot, i.e. to successive pictures of the same subject produce the same RGB values or are there variations.
Peter,

Great question. I doubt these will be that repeatable, probably highly dependent on temperature & battery condition as many speed lights are. Another reason I went with studio strobes (SK300II), that have a uniformity specification.

Cheers,

Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:I've had trouble with these Neewer triggers before, and the similar other brands. They work at 433MHz and have a tendency to miss triggers, completely hosing up many long stacking sessions. Sometimes some receivers will trigger and the other one(s) won't, again hosing up many stacks.

I've moved away from the 433MHz to the 2.4GHz triggers, like the Adorama R1 (Godox X1), much more reliable.

Best,

Mike
They actually work when you hit the test button. They just don't work in DSLR controller or live view.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yes, but will they work 500 times in succession and provide uniform outputs over than entire range??

The issue with camera speed-light interface may be something with the camera. I use Nikon so don't know about Canon.

If you look on the bottom of the transmitter you will find some contacts, with only a pair of contacts (center trigger pin and ground/return on side) then the speed-light can only be triggered by the camera, other communication isn't possible. This is what my Neewer transmitter has.

Good luck,

Best,

Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

To clarify, they work OUTSIDE of live view which DSLR Controller uses.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Then the problem is with your Canon camera.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:Then the problem is with your Canon camera.
The mid-level Canons have some quirks.

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

Deanimator

Canon cameras do not trigger flashes in live view. This is not particularly well explained in some of the model manuals. This is a real shame, as this would be a winning combination for many people on here.

If the flashes are working correctly when live view is not in use, they are working correctly.

Maywatt,

I am currently using some ancient Vivitar 283s, which seem to be fairly consistent from flash to flash. However, the trigger voltage on some of them is absurdly high, something like 330 volts. So I trigger them with photo-electric slaves which are designed to withstand their trigger voltage. I trip these by means of a very low power flash from a Canon 550 EX on manual and dialled down to its minimum power. But it would be nice for people to have access to low cost modern manual flashes which have a large range of power adjustment. As you are no doubt aware, modern flashes have a 6 volt trigger, so as not to fry the electronics in digital cameras. Not like the robust electrics in my beloved Olympus OM 2.

Peter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic