How much to charge for pictures?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Davids

How much to charge for pictures?

Post by Davids »

I've recently been "commissioned" by my department to have my photographs displayed throughout the building, which in and of itself is quite an honor. They asked how much I'd charge and I honestly don't know what to say.
I know there's a lot that goes into determining the cost, but what would you all recommend? They will probably be 8 x 10 and 11 x 14 in size.

David

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Is there public/client/customer access? Are therse effectively advertising, or decoration?

Something between zero and 20 hours at your normal working rate, each!
Chris R

concon

Post by concon »

I've come across the same problem recently- more interest in my work than I was ready for. Fortunately, I have friends in the industry who gave me a lot of advice and whom I can lean on.

You'll be at least charging 2.5x the price of the print medium (so $20 to $50-60), after that you'll need to ask how much you think your time is worth- is an extra 30 or 40 bucks comparable to a potential hour or two you put in?

You could also just pick a markup percentage and raise/lower based on party. I have a 650% markup on my canvases- it's art and can't be found elsewhere, it's taken TIME to learn, it's taken a lot of money to iron problems out, and obviously plenty patience. Discounts applied to those I've done business with or who I can leverage for more business. Also very much depends on your niche - if it's there :) If you're shooting a subject that not many other photographers are shooting, you can offer something that they cannot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic