Is Nikon intending to abstract the esence of focus stacking?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

All Ex

Is Nikon intending to abstract the esence of focus stacking?

Post by All Ex »

As I heard, d850 is going to have internal capabilities of focus stacking, what will they be and how far will they reach?
Do you believe that these rumors ( angry photographer says that they are published in China) are something to scare us?
With its 46 MP resolution, if it will be able to process NEF (RAW) files the results will be astonishing.
Alright to perform the stacking with our gear, even with a d850, but the internal trick is something out of the official game.
Our struggle will look something like David v Goliath.
What do you think on that?

:smt009
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That revolution has already happened, and it makes things wonderfully easy when conditions are right. Olympus does this now, and to some extent tethering application can at least take the stack automatically with other camera brands.

These techniques are currently limited in their user interfaces, and won't be a substitute for third-party stacking software anytime soon. What they ARE good for is generating a low-m stack almost instantly in camera by focusing ring instead of rail, and that is usually amazingly nice. But for things that require a microscope objective, old-fashioned rail movement will still be the best choice.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Much more important--Will this Nikon camera get silent shutter/mirror lockup? I'm ready to epoxy my Nikon mirrors up. That still leaves the darned shutters clanking away though.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

The 46MP sensor will be based upon or very similar to the Sony sensor I would think.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Historically Nikon hasn't been stellar in the software areas, and few new camera features have been introduce by them lately. They seem to shine in the camera fundamentals and IQ, rather than features. So I wouldn't expect something involving image stacking to be anything really outstanding, but certainly hope I'm wrong :roll:

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

I think that waiting for it to go up in the market with the features it`ll provide, we can`t yet tell what will happen and what will be the method it`ll use.
I too believe that the old traditional means we use will have always better results.
After all, we invest so many thinking and things on that.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

A closer look in d850 sows that the camera looks like an, other thun alse, interesting situation for our comunity.
As soon as we will modify acordingly our workflow, intresting, if not astonihing, things can hapen.
Among others I have to specify:
  1. Electronic suter speed
  2. Max nomber of photos: 300 photos
  3. Focus distance interval could be customized (10 steps) THIS ISN`T SO CLEAR
  4. Shutter release could be customized (0 to 30 sec)
  5. Continuous shooting around 5 fps, in that mode.

Together with the other things it ofers , I don`t mean the pointless gismos,
I belieave it is ruther a killing machine.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Again, Olympus currently matches or beats it in all those specifications. 1000 images per stack, for example.

But the "electronic shutter" is very interesting. Sometimes Nikon has used that phrase to mean that the timing is electronically controlled, but still uses the mechanical shutter. Is this a true Silent Shutter (fully electronic, no mechanical front or back curtain, no mirror flapping? If so, I would buy it someday... if and when my finances allowed it.

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

So far from the things I read, it seems to be a truly electronic one, as I read of no mechanical movement inside there.
For the moment it is way out of my financial capabilities. But depending on the estimations and how it could offer in the struggle of better stacking, I may consider it as one of my final acts in the field (if there is such a thing)
I very appreciate Olympus but I can only afford to get involved with one brand.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Eventually, as the specs say, there is going to be an electronic shutter.
The thought, that it appears to make the difference is the stacking capabilities of that thing, is that so far we were informed that D850 will have the option of 100 stacks ( in fact it is shifting focus and not stacking focus), but now I`m listening that it will have a capability of 300 stacks (or if you prefer shifts). that is making it a considerable one.
I guess those modern lenses have the ability to focus in very small increments, of little um`s, to do the job of a Stack Shot.
Allways we will have, in the end, to see in our hands (by previous of others in fact) to see what is the abilities of it and how customisable they will be. :?
By the way, does anybody knows how can I get the bugsslaber. It seems to disappear from the internet. :!:
Maybe in the near future, it`ll become very handy in our workflows, no that it is not handy now.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Any devil may be in the details, as usual.
Will it be 300 shots at full resolution, RAW? Which lenses will it work with? Etc.
Chris R

johan

Post by johan »

My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

ChrisR

In addition to your comment, I`d say that Raw (not mention the size of them) do not work with Zerene Stacker, I don`t know about Helicon focus but I guess that neither there will be functional.
A supercomputer will be required to proses them (in a reasonable time), we can ask Rik`s opinion on the creation of the program and the abilities of the machine to proses them.

johan

Thank you very much

:smt045
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It's not a camera issue, but no, ZS doesn't accept Raw. Helicon sort-of does, but wouldn't you prefer to use your favourite Raw >Tiff processing program?

Stacking time in ZS depends on MP, not file size. My new fast-ish but not unusual PC should stack PMax at about 12-15 frames of 45MP per minute. That's OK by me.
Chris R

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

You mean to convert the raw files to tiff no matter what the size of them is.
The D850 has 3 different file sizes in raw "mode".
If the file size is irrelevant to the time ZS requires it sounds tempting.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic