www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Help Identifying Mitutoyo like objective
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help Identifying Mitutoyo like objective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidanmoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Help Identifying Mitutoyo like objective Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently purchased an eBay microscope with this objective attached. It was not parfocal with the rest of the objectives, so I set up an experiment to find out about the characteristics:

M26
    just less than 1mm FOV, so probably 20X
    approx 30mm working distance
    seems distortion free on an Eclipse 200 infinity microscope

It has a HUGE front lens for 20X and an enormous working distance. The last picture shows where I had to place my calibration slide on the condenser to get focus on an E200.

I'm wondering what the possibility is that this is a Mitutoyo Plan Apo 20X?

I know there are other Mitutoyo clones, and the WD is not 20mm like I see on eBay, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Would this objective have any use in a macrophotography application?

Thanks Aidan

ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a SLWD?
NA 0.28, WD 30.5:
https://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/infinity-corrected-objectives/Mitutoyo-Infinity-Corrected-Long-Working-Distance-Objectives/
lonepal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20X and it reallt looks like it but front cover removed.

Edit : But now I realized that it looks like it is shorter than 20X.
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omer, if your 20x is the "regular" one--not the SLWD variant proposed by ChrisR--then the SLWD should, in fact be shorter. The Mitutoyo 20x/0.42 that most of us use is 75mm long, excluding threads; the Mituoyo 20x/0.28 SLWD is 64.5mm long, excluding threads. (Reference)

aidanmoore wrote:
Would this objective have any use in a macrophotography application?

Possibly. If it is indeed a Mitutoyo 20x/0.28 SLWD (or even a decently-made work-alike), and if it has not been bumped in such a way as to ruin it (this occurs sometimes), then very likely you could use it. The caveat is that a 20x/0.28 will have less resolution than the more commonly used 20x/0.42. In the Mitutoyo specifications referenced above, the 0.28 NA lens is said to resolve down to 1.0 micron; the 0.42 lens, 0.7 micron. As a comparison, this particular 20x objective has a numerical aperture more commonly seen on 10x objectives; so it would resolve about the same level of detail as a typical 10x, but magnify it more.

--Chris S.
aidanmoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the information! I just measured the body as per Chris, and it is exactly 64.50mm lens edge to body end before the threads.

So this does indeed look like a Mitutoyo 20x/0.28 SLWD without the front cover. I'll put this at the end of a Nikon 200mm or 105mm lens and see how it performs with a few stacks.

Thanks again for the clues on how to determine the manufacturer/model.

Aidan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: