wing stereo study

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

wing stereo study

Post by BugEZ »

I have noticed that the Long-Legged Flies on my hosta are of two genus. One genus is Condylostylus and there are three species that I commonly see of those. The second genus is Amblypsilopus and there is only one species represented on my hosta. The C. caudatus and A. scintillans are of similar size. At first I failed to distinguish between them, but as I studied them more carefully I noticed that they carry their wings differently when resting on the leaves. See the diagram below.

While photographing some specimens I noticed that in addition to the position that they carry their wings, the 3D shape of the wings also differs. C. caudatus has greater relief (deeper peaks and valleys) than A. scintillans in the wing topography. I am making some stereos to illustrate this.

The stereos below were each made from exactly the same number of images with the same magnification, spacing, exposure, raw image processing and settings in Zerene. The first two are C. c. and the second two are A. s.

Condylostylus caudatus female wing

Amblypsilopus scintillans
female wing

The edge on views show the difference in relief more clearly than the more flat view.

I contemplate using the software I made several years ago for turning a stack of images into a 3D point cloud (http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=23186)

for showing the differences with greater clarity.

Keith

JH

Post by JH »

Nice demo and nice pictures. :D

I like the results you got with your program.If you are interested I posted some informaton about how to make and scale a 3D model using Zerene Stacker and Adobe PS;
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... light=coin

Regards Jörgen
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

JH,

Thanks for the link to your tutorial. Very interesting.

I think what I am after is the digital point cloud, but I may need this as well.

K

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic