Stack input appreciated

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroLens

Stack input appreciated

Post by MacroLens »

I have been trying out my new setup and have to say I absolutely love the Berlebach Tripod and 410 Junior Head! It is like night and day compared to my Sunpak Tripod and head setup.

The stack was taken indoors with harsh lighting; It has been raining in Cincinnati and looks like it may be clearing up some finally. I do not have anything close to studio lighting;and even though I stepped down 1EV, the yellows are still blown. This is with Helicon Option A to preserve color and then equal PP in paint shop pro for both to try and tone down the yellow a a little with out losing the details.

I shot this at F8, ISO 200, and 8 to 10 second exposure times. I can see how this would help a lot with a flower or nice looking leaf. I will do the same with Zerene either later today or tomorrow. If looking at the unstacked version, you can see the area around Jones and 35 is in focus. There was about a one inch drop in depth from the letter O in Bobby to the letter S in Jones. Similar drop from the top of the letter H to the bottom of the number 5.

I know I need a lot of practice so please let me know what you think.

Un-Stacked

Stacked

MacroLens

Three more from Helicon.

Post by MacroLens »

I shot these with the aid of a simple household lamp instead of the glaring light in my dining room. The white balance and contrast is 100% better and these three I think are an improvement.

Helicon A

Helicon B
Helicon C

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Three more from Helicon.

Post by rjlittlefield »

MacroLens wrote:I shot these with the aid of a simple household lamp instead of the glaring light in my dining room. The white balance and contrast is 100% better
Hhmm...

I assume this evaluation is based on comparison with the actual subject in front of you.

On my monitor, not seeing the original subject, I have the impression that these images are way too warm, like the camera was set on daylight but the lighting was incandescent.

--Rik

MacroLens

Re: Three more from Helicon.

Post by MacroLens »

rjlittlefield wrote:
MacroLens wrote:I shot these with the aid of a simple household lamp instead of the glaring light in my dining room. The white balance and contrast is 100% better
Hhmm...

I assume this evaluation is based on comparison with the actual subject in front of you.

On my monitor, not seeing the original subject, I have the impression that these images are way too warm, like the camera was set on daylight but the lighting was incandescent.

--Rik
Great eye! I am experimenting with a 812 warming filter.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, thanks. There's a discussion starting at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34009634 that may be helpful.

--Rik

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

rjlittlefield wrote:OK, thanks. There's a discussion starting at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34009634 that may be helpful.

--Rik
Thanks Rik, I took a look. I also have Tiffen DFX but I mostly use it for the film effects. I am interested in the old style effects that were used in the early camera and film days and into the 70s and 80s. Call me a romantic. I am experimenting with the 812 warming filter and also setting the Kelvin in camera. Those two I am just trying out. Something I always try and do is make a manual white balance when ever I plan on taking a lot of pictures.

I know most people these days use Lightroom, Photoshp or another editor. I prefer to use my camera and carry a set of 5 by 7 cards in my bag. It only takes me about 30 seconds to set a manual WB; and then I am done until the light changes again.

Thanks for the link!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic