Olympus U-TR30 vs U-SWTR Full Frame Coverage

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

adamski

Olympus U-TR30 vs U-SWTR Full Frame Coverage

Post by adamski »

Does any one know if projection at photo port on U-SWTR will cover full frame sensor? I am using U-TR30 at the moment and unfortunately it does not. Thank You.

hkv

Post by hkv »

I am using an U-TR30 with full frame sensor and the sensor picks up the "square" inside the circular field of view. So yes, the field of view if fully covering the sensor. I think Waldo Nell is using a U-SWETR and then get vignetting instead.

What photo eyepiece are you using? You should use a PE2.5X when projecting onto a full frame sensor.

adamski

Post by adamski »

Hi, yes I know that with PE 2.5 you will get coverage of full frame but I don't want to use any optics just direct projection straight onto camera's sensor.

harisA

Post by harisA »

Another solution will be to use a teleconverter attached to your camera body.

hkv

Post by hkv »

adamski wrote:Hi, yes I know that with PE 2.5 you will get coverage of full frame but I don't want to use any optics just direct projection straight onto camera's sensor.
I guess then you need to use a smaller sensor size. However, then you are loosing other advantages like higher dynamic range etc that you get with a full frame sensor. I explored different options a couple of years ago and tested both small sensors and bigger and decided that the best compromise for me was to go for full frame and a photo eyepiece.

Are you afraid of additional aberration and reflections or why do you dislike a photo eyepiece in between?

adamski

Post by adamski »

Thanks for replay, well I have tested with PE 2.5 and in my opinion quality of image is much worse as this eyepiece gives empty magnification. I am just wandering if super wide trino would give better field of view at photo port.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I may be off, here, but doesn't Charles Krebs use a "wide" head on his Olympus? Worth looking into.
Chris R

hkv

Post by hkv »

A wide field head will help, but not enough for illuminating a full frame sensor. I believe Charles is using a smaller sensor which helps in this case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic