www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Mitutoyo 10x 0.28 - shipping/handling question
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mitutoyo 10x 0.28 - shipping/handling question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidG1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Mitutoyo 10x 0.28 - shipping/handling question Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I purchased a mitty on ebay, supposed to be in pristine condition. The objective was removed from a system and the owner does not have the capsule at hand.
I need to get back to him regarding the shipping, i am affraid something could happen during shipping.
What to do ? i can't find a capsule anywhere but ebay and shipping from China could take a while.
Is it safe enough to ship it wrapped in a bubble wrap and lens cloth to protect the optics?
Thanks Embarassed
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Capsule or no is not an issue. The great majority of second-hand Mitutoyo objectives are sold without capsules. If the shipper does a very good job packaging the lens, you should have no problems. And even if there were a lens capsule, the shipper would still have to package the lens very well.

I usually put the lens in a small plastic bag, then wrap this with bubble wrap, then bed this in packing peanuts or other material, inside a cardboard box.

--Chris S.
DavidG1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chris,
So i will just ask him to send as suggested,
thanks!
David
RobertOToole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

China? Be very careful. Lots of the objectives I see from there look very rough, so I would be concerned of the shape, even if it was packaged properly. Be sure to test it when you receive it. If there is an issue return the lens.

BTW I have bought a few lenses from South Korea and the shipper deserves an award for perfection, I couldn't have done better myself! China. Not so much.

I think we need to start a seller experience list to help others.

Robert

Last edited by RobertOToole on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidG1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

No no ... the objective is from a US based seller, i was planning on sending him a vial so he could ship it properly, but the vials are shipped only from China.

David
RobertOToole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidG1980 wrote:
Hi Robert,

No no ... the objective is from a US based seller, i was planning on sending him a vial so he could ship it properly, but the vials are shipped only from China.

David

Thats good to hear.

I promise to read more carefully next time Very Happy

Hope the lens shows up in good shape. The Mitty 10x is a super lens.

Robert
DavidG1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertOToole wrote:
David,

China? Be very careful. Lots of the objectives I see from there look very rough, so I would be concerned of the shape, even if it was packaged properly. Be sure to test it when you receive it. If there is an issue return the lens.

BTW I have bought a few lenses from South Korea and the shipper deserves an award for perfection, I couldn't have done better myself! China. Not so much.

I think we need to start a seller experience list to help others.

Robert

You are right, most objectives i see from Chinese sellers look like they have been played Golf with. I have no idea what they were using them for, i was tempted to buy a rough one with a decent glass and a beaten barrel, something more robust than a Mitty... still contemplating.
Macrero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

as Chris said, there should not be any problem if the objective is send without vial if it is properly wrapped/packaged. Mitus are delicate, but not that delicate.

As to cosmetic condition, I've owned Mitutoyo objectives that were in really poor cosmetic condition with deep scratches on the barrel, but IQ was just perfect, on the other hand I tried objectives in great condition cosmetically and (apparently) optically, but quality was poor, they were likely dropped, disassembled or... who knows. Btw, the "poor" ones came from China and the "good" ones from US, so that's not a guarantee.

Best,

- Macrero
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: