Short working distances, new (used) camera, and new stand

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

timmymac

Short working distances, new (used) camera, and new stand

Post by timmymac »

I'm *mostly* sure that the Zeiss objectives are fully corrected, and almost certain that the Leitz objectives would require a Leitz correcting tube lens.

The short working distance for most of these objectives makes lighting of the subject difficult. Even the Zeiss 10x 0.30 Epiplan Neofluor (my lowest magnification objective) only has a WD of about 4mm, and the rest are significantly less. :(

I think I'll just sell the Leitz and Zeiss objectives that I can't use, and then buy Mitutoyo Plan APO LWD in 5x and 10x. Maybe I'll add the 20x also, depending on the sale of the high power objectives).

On a happier note, I was at the Goodwill second-hand store earlier this week, and found a pristine Nikon D800 body for $240 (US Dollars). This allowed me to tether the stacking camera to my laptop, and provides live viewing on the laptop screen! I'm a happy guy.

Also, my stand components from 8020.net are arriving tomorrow, so I'll have a nice stable stand to work with.
Never stop learning!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I'm *mostly* sure that the Zeiss objectives are fully corrected, and almost certain that the Leitz objectives would require a Leitz correcting tube lens
Why do you think so?

AFAIK all these objectives do need complementary corrections, finites and Leitz infinites with Periplan compensating eyepieces and Zeiss and Leica infinites at compensating tube lenses. Only low magnification very old achromats and later Zeiss Jena infinites are "full" corrected, not sure about the very latest Zeiss infinite series
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic