www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Tests of Scanner Nikkor vs Printing Nikkor
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tests of Scanner Nikkor vs Printing Nikkor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are at 200%, PN on left. At 200% you can see the difference easily between the two lenses.

austrokiwi1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 4K calibrated monitor. I assure you that although there are differences they aren't that easy to spot. That seems to be a good recommendation for the scanning Nikkor
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy that I bought the Printing Nikkor; the sharpness and contrast is exceptional. But if someone is on a budget, the Scanning Nikkor is much cheaper (when it can be found) and pretty good.

And if someone doesn't need the huge 50-60mm image circle of these lenses, the Scanning Nikkor from the smaller 35mm slide scanner with the same resolution, the Coolscan 5000, is another good option. That one would only cover a FF sensor, not a medium-format sensor like the lenses I tested here, but that is enough for most people, and non-working examples of those scanners often come up on eBay for very little money. That lens has 7 elements, several of them ED elements. [Edit: the Coolscan 5000 has the same resolution as the 8000 and 9000, and only differs in coverage (24mm scan width rather than 60mm scan width). I have a working Coolscan 5000 and it is very sharp from corner to corner.]

The main point of these tests is that slide scanner lenses from the best 4000 dpi scanners are worth a look. Minolta makes a 5400 dpi slide scanner which also might be worth a look.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Scanning Nikkor on eBay only had one bidder, who got the lens for $200. That's a good price. Hope it was one of the forum members.
ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou Jost wrote:
I see the Scanning Nikkor on eBay only had one bidder, who got the lens for $200. That's a good price. Hope it was one of the forum members.

Not me, I unfortunately forgot to bid in time.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you still have a Printing Nikkor, which is clearly better. You would probably miss the lack of an aperture.

But for someone who didn't have a Printing Nikkor or other exotic glass, like a beginner on a budget, I'd think this would be a good purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: