www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Pyrocystis fusiformis
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pyrocystis fusiformis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonardturner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Pyrocystis fusiformis Reply with quote

Although this organism has been described as non-motile, the young do have flagella which they apparently lose during their short life cycles. It would be reasonable then to expect some differential mobility, and I think that is what we are seeing here. This flash-illuminated stack of 73 images of Pyrocystis in a well slide show some as quite static, and others with a variety of of movements (as might be expected from an organism with eccentrically mounted "propulsion units.") Mitty 5X, Raynox, Nikon 810

Leonard Turner
GaryB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very interesting shot. I love the strobe effect of the motile ones.

Thanks for the upload Very Happy
leonardturner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gary. I must say I had no preconception of the results of this stack; one of the many pleasures of this game is getting to see things that you otherwise wouldn't, and the sometimes surprising outcomes. I have an ongoing culture of these organisms, and have examined a good many of them but have yet to recognize a flagellum. They are described as lying in two different planes, so I would suspect a variety of types of movement are possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: