Mitutoyo 7.5x defective

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Mitutoyo 7.5x defective

Post by ChrisR »

Reminder:
As discovered by Chris S., and previously reported.
Defective Mitutoyo 7.5x/0.21 serial number is R33036811.

It may be on ebay again.
100% test doesn't mean it passed the test...
Chris R

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Mitutoyo 7.5x defective

Post by Chris S. »

I echo ChrisR's advice to be cautious about this lens.

Am nearly certain that photographs shown for eBay item 262953739749 are of a lens I tested and found defective. (If anyone cares to see the test images, with comparisons against a "known-good" specimen, PM me.) The serial number of the specimen I tested (as listed by ChrisR) matches the serial number of the eBay lens pictured, for those digits of the serial number that can be read. The scrapes on the front of the eBay lens exactly match my recollection of the tested lens. So either this is the lens I tested, or the vendor is showing photos of a different lens from the one on offer, without disclosure (a practice I detest).

I sent a message to the vendor asking for the serial number of the lens. Vendor replied: "hello ,what do you need serial number ?"[sic]

I answered: "I myself tested the lens shown in your pictures, and it failed these tests--it is defective. However, if you are selling a different lens from the one in the pictures, it might be good."

So far, there has been no reply.

--Chris S.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It is great that you were so alert to catch that. Ebay can be a cesspool, but a little policing might go far to make our particular eBay alcove a bit safer to swim in. Thanks for doing that!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic