New Here- Simple Rig Question

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

timothyjw

New Here- Simple Rig Question

Post by timothyjw »

Hello all,

My name is Tim. I've been creeping on this forum for about a year or so and I finally decided to join. I've done some poking around on here in attempts to understand all of the terminology.

For the last few years I've been shooting anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 and I wanted to play with higher magnifications. I've done lens reversing and stacking in the past. I found a helpful thread for users looking to dip into this type of shooting but I figured I'd ask a few questions myself.

I currently shoot with a full frame Nikon D610. I'm looking for a simple, high magnification rig and I came across three components I might need to achieve this. How does a
1. Nikon 200mm F4 AIS, with a 2. Nikon 10X Plan Achromat infinity objective on a 3. Nikon CFI M25 microscope objective M52 52mm adapter sound?

Will I run into any vignetting issues? Will I be satisfied with the results of this setup? Cost isn't a huge issue right now, I just want to do this the right way.

Thanks- and thanks for having me!

-Tim

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome Tim
Sounds like you're getting well set up.
Which objective is it? The "brown" one?

Your corners won't be as good as the middle, but if often doesn't matter.

Assuming you're stacking, the focus increments, lighting and vibration will be bigger issues that the objective, for quite a while. Apart from the subject.. ;)
Chris R

timothyjw

Post by timothyjw »

ChrisR wrote:Welcome Tim
Sounds like you're getting well set up.
Which objective is it? The "brown" one?

Your corners won't be as good as the middle, but if often doesn't matter.

Assuming you're stacking, the focus increments, lighting and vibration will be bigger issues that the objective, for quite a while. Apart from the subject.. ;)
Thanks, Chris!

I believe it is the brown one.. it is brown in color at least. Here is the link I plan to purchase from. http://www.seoenterprises.com/shop/prod ... ctid=16268

I do plan on using it for stacking, and I'm sure it'll be a task to control all of these different variables. I appreciate your help! I remember getting nasty vignetting or light leaking when stacking lenses, and I wasn't sure how bad this might look on full frame. I assume the 200mm F4 is set to infinity at all times and it's a matter of moving back and forth on a rail for the stacking?

This is a stupid question, but why doesn't the adapter itself affect the image if you're blocking off most of the end of the 200mm lens? The image becomes only what is seen through the objective?

Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic