BLACK 2.0

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

BLACK 2.0

Post by dolmadis »

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Definitely interesting.

On a side note, I was intrigued by the advertisement's treatment of some entity named "Anish Kapoor":
*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

#ShareTheBlack
until I searched and found this article: https://news.artnet.com/art-world/anish ... hts-436610.

All that said, I'm still thinking this is April 1, and there might be a coincidence...

Edited to add: I checked the internet archive WayBack Machine, and found that a page for V1.0 of this product had been captured on 20 Feb 17. So, apparently it's not an April Fools' Day joke, or if it is, it's quite a bit more elaborate than most.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Oooh! I wonder how black it is when hit with incident light at a low, grazing angle? Only one way to find out...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Anish Kapoor did a scrap-iron "art" thing at the 2012 Olympic site in London.

He has some rights over a paint containing something like carbon nanotubes, it seems:
https://www.dezeen.com/2016/03/02/anish ... k-pigment/
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

And it smells like Black Cherry!

siliconGary

Post by siliconGary »

Don't you hate it when you are not sure if you've been April Fooled? There is a wikipedia entry for VantaBlack that references the Anish Kapoor issue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
So I am thinking it's legit.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

John, thanks for sharing this! :D

For some time, I've been looking for a very-very black, non-reflective "paint" for macro-subject substrates, with several photographic goals in mind. This product seems to potentially be just that. So I've ordered a tube, and look forward to trying it.

Regarding the information Rik turned up about Anish Kapoor: This fellow comes off as jerk-ball of the first order. Unless he presents information to the contrary, I'll despise him.

--Chris S.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Ditto on every point. Plus I'm going to try it as a flocking substitute (but with limited expectations).

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Chris and Beatsy, I hope you'll report on the results. (And do tell us if it really smells like Black Cherry...)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I think the smell would be the solvent ?:)
If this is something like I suspect - carbon nanotubes or a graphene product, then it's been around for a while uninfluenced by the antics of an irrelevant architect.
It has been expensive, though. I've seen apparently similar stuff on the inside of chambers used in physics experiments at the NPL.
I've delayed ordering until I hear that the product is in stock, and I asked about the "medium".
Chris R

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Vanta Black is a real product. It is similar to Acktar Black which I just posted on in a different thread. It may or may not be better than Acktar. Each of these places like to say they have the "blackest" material in the world.

https://www.acktar-store.com/store/stra ... kit-mv236/

I have used Acktar and it is good. There is some sheen for low angle grazing reflection, but that is always a problem.

Vanta black does have some exclusive deal for art. It is also export controlled from the UK, presumably due to defense uses.
nathanm

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Cultrehustle said Black 2.0 is "awaiting delivery" to them, by the way.
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

My bottle of Black 2.0 arrived this morning. I haven't time to do proper testing today but curiosity and impatience had me paint a few small swatches onto a piece of black card. Initial impressions...

1. It's not dead black - more a very deep charcoal grey - somewhat as expected.
2. But - it is *extremely* matt, particularly at a low angle of incidence. It appears to show less low-incidence reflection than proper flocking paper!!!
3. It is sensitive to application technique. A bit less matt if you overbrush too much, or apply too thickly or thinly.
4. A second coat improves the "mattness" - multiple thin(ned) coats may do better
5. It takes a while to achieve full "mattness" - and may improve further as it dries more. This sample only had a couple of hours drying

I applied the paint by brush, straight from the container. It is very thick as supplied (about the same as an average oil paint) and can be thinned with water to practically any degree (down to thin as ink).

I'll paint some better and more varied test swatches tonight, along with a few other materials for comparison and post results/pics tomorrow.

So far though, as a flocking substitute, I'd say it looks *very* promising indeed!

Edit: Forgot to add. Yes, it does smell a bit like black cherry. I'd describe it as smelling more like Vimto, but not sure if that's available anywhere other than here (UK).
Last edited by Beatsy on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

What I really want to know is whether it smells like black cherry.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Lou Jost wrote:What I really want to know is whether it smells like black cherry.
It does

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic