Advice on New Setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JohnDownie

Advice on New Setup

Post by JohnDownie »

Hello All,

I was in the midst of collecting pieces for a >1x macro setup several years ago when life took me elsewhere. I bought some stuff, including some enlarger lenses, and two 10x microscope objectives. It seems that things are evolving in this field, so I wanted to get a handle on the current thought.

I am hoping to get advice on which 10x I should keep, which will go, somehow, on a Sony Alpha A7 II.

I have a Nikon Plan 10x 0.25 ? / - wd 10.5, and a Mitutoyo M Plan 10x 0.28 ? / 0 f=200. I know the latter is better-regarded, in general, but given the FF sensor, does the larger-coverage Nikon pull ahead? How big an advantage is the bigger coverage for the potential to go with a shorter fl tube lens and lower magnification?

For set up, I am hoping to solicit input on good, better and best setups with regard to extension gear (bellows versus tubes, etc.), and tube lens options (dedicated tube lens versus telephoto camera lenses, etc.). I have a Canon adaptor and will likely get a Pentax one and perhaps an Olympus one, as I have an Olympus auto-bellows.

Not sure I have sufficiently specified the question and am happy to add more information to clarify.

TIA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic