10 GOOD REASONS FOR YOU TO QUIT OF MACROPHOTOGRAPHY in 2017

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

01 - It's not the cheapest hobby or photography genre. You’re ok with field macro and low magnification “staking”.
You try to go over 5:1 and you realize you will have to remortgage the house….

02 - You will hardly get any return $ ever ...(do weddings and kindergarten parties instead)

03 - Even if you get a certain level of “excellence” there are, and there always will be, 50.000 other guys as good or better than you in Flickr).. face it, live with that.

04 - Nobody, but you and a bunch of freaks from your circle of "friends" likes it.? "why are you shooting now those disgusting ugly insects??.. before you were doing such lovely landscapes.."?I heard it many times and so did you. And we will hear it again many other times in 2017

05 - After a couple of years.. you're a bit fed up and bored.

06 - Macro it's tiresome... not everybody has the guts to get the bum out of the bed early morning to go spend a couple of hours in the grass chasing insects.. at least regularly and consistently. ?If you are happy just with the flowers and insects you can find at home or in the garden... better quit right now.

07 - Macrophotography is "pretty dead" ... discussion is dead, the participation in forums is pretty dead.. You post and nobody cares. (You don’t care either)
Looks like this “macro” thing must have been fun 5-6 years ago, when there was a certain “pioneering”.. not anymore.
Instagram and Facebook killed the forums. “LIKE" and be "correct", don't "offend"...it's the word now.

08 - You can’t beat the Asians and the South Americans… your insects in Europe are so dull.. all is brown, green or black, occasionally a red one…and you get so jealous of those psychedelic funky aliens they have in the rainforests… :)

09 - Everything is becoming BORING and to much automatised... auto-rails, cameras and lenses who can do focus-stacking, focus peaking, “magic lantern” etc. soon (or maybe already right now) any idiot can do "great" pictures knowing nothing about nothing...

10 - Your mate is about to leave you.. she (he) can't stand another Saturday out to photograph bugs and it’s fed up of lonely nights in bed while you're doing your "stacks" of a fly till the sunrise...

Ok?Keep on going at your own risk… ?:)

Disclaimer: I’m joking of course, I hope you can gather that… I’m somewhat newbie in the business and I can see so may talented people around the web who are not doing it anymore or selling their gear…I found myself thinking about it and trying to figure the reasons why after my own experience and struggles…
Sometimes I feel a bit sad.. like if I “missed the train…” Shame I did not start it 5-6 years ago. Around 2010 must have been a great time for the forums and the activity.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic