Mitu QV 2.5x - any experience?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

Mitu QV 2.5x - any experience?

Post by nielsgeode »

Any experience with the Mitutoyo QV-HR2.5X?

http://www.mitutoyo.co.uk/vision-measur ... 3/02akt300

An NA of 0.21 at this magnification is a lot and I wonder how it compares to the well-known Mitu 2x NA 0.055. The FoV for "PRO machine" (whatever that may be) suggests very small sensors. Would it cover APS-C and if so, how would corner sharpness be?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Notice the "f=100" engraved on the objective. That's the tube lens length that gives 2.5X. When used with a 200 mm tube lens, like standard for the Mitutoyo M Plan Apo's, this objective would be 5X NA 0.21 instead of NA 0.14 for the M Plan Apo 5X. The larger NA suggests that the QV objective would be sharper at image center. I have no idea how the corners would compare.

If you search Google with the query site:photomacrography.net Mitutoyo QV, you can find some postings about various QV objectives. They will probably add some info, but I don't think that any of them will exactly answer your question.

--Rik

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

rjlittlefield wrote:Notice the "f=100" engraved on the objective. That's the tube lens length that gives 2.5X. When used with a 200 mm tube lens, like standard for the Mitutoyo M Plan Apo's, this objective would be 5X NA 0.21 instead of NA 0.14 for the M Plan Apo 5X. The larger NA suggests that the QV objective would be sharper at image center. I have no idea how the corners would compare.

If you search Google with the query site:photomacrography.net Mitutoyo QV, you can find some postings about various QV objectives. They will probably add some info, but I don't think that any of them will exactly answer your question.

--Rik
I've seen the f=100 :) It's not difficult to use a 100mm tube lens instead of a 200mm. Do you think designing it for 100mm instead of 200mm would make it easier to obtain a high NA? Even then, 0.055 vs. 0.21 is a massive difference.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

nielsgeode wrote:It's not difficult to use a 100mm tube lens instead of a 200mm.
True, and that's my point. If you stick a Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 5X NA 0.14 on 100 mm tube lens, you get 2.5X NA 0.14. So a pretty fair comparison is NA 0.14 for the M Plan Apo versus 0.21 for the QV, not so massive.

Comparing the QV on 100 mm tube lens at 2.5X, against the M Plan Apo on 200 mm tube lens at 2X, I'm quite sure you'll find that the M Plan Apo has a much wider field. It's the narrow field of the QV that makes it easier to obtain high NA.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

The FoV values given on mitutoyo.co.uk are a bit weird, perhaps cause for concern?

View field: 2.5 x 1.88mm, 1.25 x 0.94mm, 0.41 x 0.31mm (0.62 x 0.47mm)
Remarks:The monitor magnification and field of view values are for the PRO machine.

The FoV of a 5x mitty on 135mm tube lens (3.375x) is 10mm on full frame and 7mm on APS-C. If it were put on a 100mm tube lens it would cover 14.4mm and 9.6mm respectively - but the corners and edges would be vignetted, with poor quality inside that.

The largest FoV quoted above is 2.5mm - so I suspect the FoV is miniscule and can't be pushed like it can with the M Plan APOs.

This all just theorising "out loud" on my part though...

edit: oops, Rik beat me to it

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

Peter Lin posted on facebook on his timeline a photo made with the Mitutoyo QV 2.5x NA 0.14. I'm not sure what sensor he used, but it looks like the QV 0.14 does cover at least something like APS-C / M4/3 / ...

Of course it doesn't say anything about the 0.21, however, I would be surprised if there's a massive difference in coverage between the 0.14 and 0.21.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'll revive this old thread to add that the new version of the QV, with NA=0.21, also has a much longer working distance than the old one that has an NA of 0.14. That is a bit unexpected.

I now have the old version waiting for me in Wisconsin. I think it must be telecentric since it is a measuring objective like the Nikon MM series.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I have the QV, but I am not sure if it is the HR version.

Yes, it requires 100mm tube (vs 200mm) and yes, it has relatively large NA of 0.14 (compared to others 2.5X). I believe it is an APO lens. Here is a comparison with a Chinese "APO", a regular achromatic 4x. The comparison was done with QV 2.5 on a 135mm f/2.8 lens.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

forgot to mention, I believe the QV series are telecentric and as tested (by me), this QV 2.5x one is indeed telecentric.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks for that info. I'm glad to get confirmation that it is telecentric and behaves like an apo lens. It also has along working distance. This is potentially a really great under-appreciated optic, until now quite inexpensive though hard to find.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Looking for some information which I have been unable to find on Google.

I have just come across a 2.5x QV with no NA markings.

But it has a serial number or product number D60674.

Is it 0.14 or 0.21?

Thanks if anyone can advise.

BR

John

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The QV objectives are fully marked with NA, etc. If yours doesn't have marks, that's suspicious. On mine (NA=0.14) the part # is 02ALA410

harisA

Post by harisA »

mjkzz wrote:I have the QV, but I am not sure if it is the HR version.

Yes, it requires 100mm tube (vs 200mm) and yes, it has relatively large NA of 0.14 (compared to others 2.5X). I believe it is an APO lens. Here is a comparison with a Chinese "APO", a regular achromatic 4x. The comparison was done with QV 2.5 on a 135mm f/2.8 lens.
Since you own this objective will you please let us know if the mitotuyo qv 2.5x can cover a m4/3 or even a aps-c sensor?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Sure, but it will be several months before I can retrieve it from Wisconsin where it was shipped. I will give a full report after my next trip to the US. I have a bunch of other very cool lenses waiting for me too, including some unique ones that appear not to be known to our community. Lots to report!

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Lou Jost wrote:The QV objectives are fully marked with NA, etc. If yours doesn't have marks, that's suspicious. On mine (NA=0.14) the part # is 02ALA410
Thank you for the warning.

I wonder what the part number is for the NA 0.21?

Just like to mention two others for sale with the D60XXX serial/part number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Original-M ... SwoudW4WtR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitutoyo-QV-o ... Sw91NTtkws

So perhaps there are three QV 2.5X legit versions out there.

BR

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic